Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

IFC data mapping - slow slow slow

alemanda
Advocate
Hi All!
It's the second time ...
As soon as I define some rules using IFC data mapping ... every schedule needs many seconds or minutes to update ...
Where do I make mistake?!
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
10 REPLIES 10
alemanda
Advocate
not every schedule actually ...
only those schedules containing IFC parameters take so long to update ... too much long!

The schedules where no IFC parameters are used are fast as usual ..
Win 10 Pro 64bit
www.almadw.it
alemanda
Advocate
Really frustrating ...
Win 10 Pro 64bit
www.almadw.it
alemanda
Advocate
How to speed Up?
Is there a way or a secret to use data mapping avoiding this wastage of time?
Win 10 Pro 64bit
www.almadw.it
alemanda
Advocate
I'm giving up.

Last attempt is to share what I did so that if somebody in GS or in the forum has the time and will to investigate a little bit more ...

Here you can download a zip file containing a pln test file, an IFC scheme and a schedule scheme.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5YhSR8H9tBKWkZnSFNvT0dDMEU/view?usp=sharing

I defined some rules in order to have a BOQ at once ...
I did the following:
1. all the items defined as "beam" type produce a quantity using the unit linear meter, so I defined the rules for walls (used for example as skirtings), columns (used for trims or profiles), etc. and for all those elements to be computed by length.
2. all the items defines as "slab" type produce a quantity using unit "square meter" using the item's foot print area, so I defined rules for slabs, roofs, meshes, walls (used, for example, as wall covers), etc. and for all those elements to be computed by top area.
3. all the items defined as "building proxy" produce a quantity using unit "cubic meter", so I defined the rules for slabs, columns, beams, roofs, walls and for all those elements to be computed by volume.
4. all the items defined as "furnishing type" produce a quantity using the unit "piece", and for all those elements to be computed by piece.
5. all the items defined as "wall type" produce a quantity using the unit "square meter" and calculate the quantities of the vertical face of the item itself, and for all those elements to be computed by area of the vertical face.

In this way I can get a BOQ at once, mapping all the elements in the proper category.

As I said before the result is very time consuming ... and I don't understand/know why. But most of all I would like to know if there's a way to use data mapping without this wastage of time!

Also to get the list of IFC parameters in the schedule it takes a minute ...

Thanks for any support.
BOQ at once.JPG
Win 10 Pro 64bit
www.almadw.it
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I looked at the files you have posted.
I think you have used IFC Mapping correctly. This is the way to use it. It will also give proper results when an element is used to model another element type, for a Wall is used to model a Beam, as you mentioned.
So that is fine.

Regarding the Interactive Schedule generation: I have a 2nd generation i7 processor in my laptop and the Interactive Schedule is generated in literally less than a second. So I don't experience any of the slow you mention.

The only difference I can think of is that I don't have the Italian Libraries. Actually, in general I think it is not a good idea to load the whole ARCHICAD 19 INT Library and the whole ARCHICAD 19 ITA Library at the same time. Don't you get a lot of "duplicate elements" messages?
I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Try to unlink one or the other and see if that affect the speed of Schedule generation in any way.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
alemanda
Advocate
Thanks Laszlo.
Actually I work only with the INT or the ITA library.
In the test file even in my PC everything works fine ...
The (big) problems come when I use this data mapping (but also data mapping in general) in a bigger file.
Win 10 Pro 64bit
www.almadw.it
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Maybe you could send this file as a PLA to Graphisoft through your reseller so they can investigate what is causing the slowness, and possibly improve upon it.
alemanda
Advocate
Yes.
I've already sent a PLA to a guy in GS which was investigating on another problem (export to SU so slow) ... hoep he can do a check also for this slowness issue with schedule + data mapping
Win 10 Pro 64bit
www.almadw.it
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Good stuff.
As the amount of information handled by BIM is growing ARCHICAD needs to keep up in speed so it can handle all that data and relationships and rules.