Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Importing to Max problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
My apologies, I'm very new to ArchiCAD. I was just testing the export from AC to Max. I have a simple box of walls. When it's imported into Max using .obj, or .wrl it comes in sideways, meaning the x-axis or y-axis is the z-axis.

And not sure if it's related, but 3ds objects don't appear at all.

BTW, I am a disgruntled Revit user if this helps!

AC11
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is this a common question that I haven't searched for correctly? My apologies if this is one of those "beating the dead horse" things.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Try exporting from the 3D window.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The option to save as an obj, wrl, or 3ds only happens when you are in 3d, so I kinda got that part!

There are some definite similarities between AC and (the other software I won't mention here!)

It has the same export option that you need to be in a 3d mode in order to export the model.

I did find out that the 3ds file does come in correctly. All I saw was a camera or something rather, way, way, way far from the center, so my test walls were quite tiny. I deleted this and the walls appeared.

But, the question is still curious. obj and wrl files come in sideways, like you've drawn the house on the south elevation. And forget about dwg or dxf files, the completely come apart. Instead of a box, I get an "X"

I guess I should relent. Max is an Autodesk program. Does everyone else use C4D or ? I've seen the renderings from AC and they are just about as impressive as Revits' (being sarcastic) I've seen good from both, but nothing compares to the rendering software.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just checking in again, I don't want to sound pushy. I'm still wondering why an exported model comes in sideways in max. It has to be impossible that I am the only one using max for a rendering program. No one knows what I am talking about?
Dwight
Newcomer
Here's the scoop:

Archicad doesn't use the same global axes that Max and most other animation/modelers do.

Archicad's XYZ correspond to the real world while MAX's and most other applications have "Z" coming out of the screen..... some old animator convention.

I don't know how to solve this problem for export, but for 3ds import to Archicad, you tweak the import options. I suspect you max import/open dialog will have the axis adjustment.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Very cool. Thanks. I thought it would be something like that. 3ds exports fine, which I will probably do anyway if I ever get around to it.