Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Reality check - Revit

Anonymous
Not applicable
I´m sure someone will tell me how wrong I am, but I just saw the funniest 6 minutes video ever:

http://cad-vs-bim.blogspot.com/2008/09/filter-this-selectively-selecting-in.html

Apparently, it takes all of 6 minutes to explain how you can do selective selection in Revit, something that we do in ArchiCAD in five seconds with Ctrl+F, Atl+click, "+", and then 5 more seconds to apply different pens.

Thank Thor for making me choose the right one
27 REPLIES 27
TomWaltz
Participant
Martin wrote:
Keep in mind, our average project is 300,000 SF, so neither program is exactly blazing fast for us.
Ha Tom wait till you try a project of 265,000 Square meters (Over 4 levels Lots curved sloping Slabs oops! ROOFS although it is well structured with layers)
Macbook pro (new 15") V12 handles it like a Ferrari
I'm assuming you have that broken into multiple RVT files?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
I thought I would miss Find & Select a lot when I first started with Revit. What's interesting is that I found that I didn't need it. Revit's workflow just didn't seem to require it as much (possibly due to more use of "type" parameters in common elements). The selection tools are definitely weaker, but I do like the Filter Selection command.
It all depends on the sort of work you are doing.

I agree that selection tools are less needed in Revit for design work than in ArchiCAD. In my experience this is largely because of the relationships which automatically adjust related elements when design changes are made, whereas in ArchiCAD one has to select and modify the bits that don't adjust themselves.

On the other hand, in the work I am doing presently Find & Select is a primary tool and it's lack in Revit is a big disadvantage. We are doing construction coordination models on very large projects. In this work I find the Revit relationships more of a hindrance than a help and since much of the work is making revisions due to change orders and RFIs the quick and versatile selection tools of ArchiCAD are a big plus.
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
Martin wrote:
Keep in mind, our average project is 300,000 SF, so neither program is exactly blazing fast for us.
Ha Tom wait till you try a project of 265,000 Square meters (Over 4 levels Lots curved sloping Slabs oops! ROOFS although it is well structured with layers)
UH No it was done in ArchiCAD 11 migrated to 12
1 master file
6 modules
It did get complicated but learnt a lot
TomWaltz
Participant
Martin wrote:
TomWaltz wrote:
Martin wrote:
UH No it was done in ArchiCAD 11 migrated to 12
1 master file
6 modules
It did get complicated but learnt a lot
Sorry, I thought you meant in Revit. I've done jobs that size in Archicad already (AC9 and AC10, not quite as snappy as AC11 and 12 are!).
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
Sorry, I thought you meant in Revit. I've done jobs that size in Archicad already (AC9 and AC10, not quite as snappy as AC11 and 12 are!).
I think the construction team split it into 20 or so files Sloping slabs are a breeze in revit though.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have learned both revit and archi well, and the two both are best..two programs have plus and min..I have some staf that I taught them archi cause archi has easy to learn interface. I myself still work in revit cause revit like more intuitive for me as an civil engineer..In my day work,I still handle the two programs from co worker..a key is, archi is more like from architec for architec while revit is more like from engineer for engineer and architec who works in architecture, structure and mep..
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Rikhardus,
Just out of curiosity: Can you give some comparison between AC and Revit, pros and cons, based on your or your collegues' experiences? There has been some discussion on these topics. We do not have too many people fluent in both so as to give a broad opinion.

You might want to post that in the ArchiCAD vs Revit...pros and cons + various thread:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=9280

By the way, you might want to change the Location in your Profile so spam bot programs will not take your email address from the forum.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
"laszlonagy" wrote:
Rikhardus,
Just out of curiosity: Can you give some comparison between AC and Revit, pros and cons, based on your or your collegues' experiences? There has been some discussion on these topics. We do not have too many people fluent in both so as to give a broad opinion.

I think that both AC and Revit are good but I can compare some of the two program, Revit has fully parametric internal engine, so single change updates all corresponding views/schedulles..AC has easy interface..Revit has instant and type family and In place family that easy to edit or modify while AC has GDL Object that requires knowledge of script. Revit has no layer but categories and specific while AC has layer..Revit has host for componen/family while AC doesn't. We can make our object/family ourself freely in Revit. I like Revit's Site Modeler and Mass Modeler..Layout in Revit is more integrated, Schedules are just another view in Revit..For me, ..Revit has better support from Autodesk resellers..For me, Revit can understand more for what I meant
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
OK, thanks for the information.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Rikhardus wrote:
[..Layout in Revit is more integrated, Schedules are just another view in Revit..
...and how is this different from AC?
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5