Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Revit 2011 & Autocad 2011

TMA_80
Enthusiast
Hi!

Ok, i know, I'm posting too much "other products" links....at least we keep updated ( Autodesk is even launching 2011 products !?)

So an update to the last year post 😉 :

Revit 2011
http://autodesk-revit.blogspot.com/2010/03/whats-new-in-revt-architecture-2011.html

this version seems to fix the ui interface problem, complete the "missing" options for the new freeform modeling tool (which i think is great) ...(no multithreading yet ?! )..and textured view option ...etc.

Autocad2011
http://www.cadalyst.com/cad/autocad/autocad-2011-a-look-what039s-new-13200
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
46 REPLIES 46
Chadwick
Newcomer
I understand what you are saying and I agree. But what I'm saying is some of those things that YOU list as a disadvantage for Revit other people might seem as an advantage. Same goes for ArchiCAD or any other piece of software. It's a matter of preference of workflow. There is no right way or wrong way but two different ways. What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander...

Ultimately what is going to matter is how successfully can you market your product? I've seen this complaint on these forums for years and unfortunately it is going to play a larger role than it should...
RA 2012 x64, Piranesi 6 Pro, Sketchup 8, Windows 7 Pro x64, Intel Core i7, 10GB RAM, ATI Radeon Mobile 5870
So if a person is forced to abandon ArchiCAD for the sake of employment,
which would be the better program to learn, AutoCAD Architecture or Revit Architecture ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Steve wrote:
So if a person is forced to abandon ArchiCAD for the sake of employment,
which would be the better program to learn, AutoCAD Architecture or Revit Architecture ?
It depends on what you mean by "better".

Off-hand, I would say AutoCAD Architecture is "better" from a subjective workflow/ease-of-use point of view, but from a practical perspective that takes into consideration the current economic climate, I would opine that Revit is probably the "better" or safer option to learn.

The reason I say this is because AutoCAD Architecture is "easy" too learn. It's basically AutoCAD with the 3D/BIM component layered on top. And anybody who can use ArchiCAD (And might not have used AutoCAD before) can easily learn AutoCAD. And from this perspective learning it if you have the option of your preference would make for a much less painful transition.

However, with most firms buying into Autodesk marketing spiel and trying to position themselves for recovering from the recession to be competitive, cutting edge and/or up to date technologically, a lot of firms are jumping on the BIM bandwagon (read : Revit) and making the transition into Revit and you can bet that when they do begin hiring they will be looking for Revit fluent employees. Even if you have the luxury of working independently on your own and only collaborating with offices on a contract basis for projects, chances are that the model, or information that they will be exchanging with your will be in the form of a Revit or .RVT model and since Autodesk is not so hot on IFC format, you are still likely to have to learn how to deal with their .rvt format.
So smart money is on being proficient or gaining some minimal proficiency in Revit.

A lot of people on this forum don't like hearing this, but that's just the stark reality of the current economic climate and the new face of the Architecture profession that we face particularly in North America where Autodesk have completely dominated the market and hoodwinked a lot of people and firms to buy into their marketing.

But again it all depends on your local market climate (i.e what are most firms using) and your own situation vis-a-vis flexibility and independence (i.e just how much do you or can you control your own destiny and not have to worry about outside forces).
Rakela Raul
Participant
revit
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
My previous 2 firms were autocad/archicad but went into transition to autocad and revit. The writing was on the wall so I taught myself revit and with a few classes and an experienced revit user nearby made the transition quickly, more so than autocad users who tend to wrestle with the logic of revit. The logic behind revit and archicad is similar although they go about a different ways. I still have a preference for archicad and use it for my own projects but revit is fine too and pays my wages. I am using revit for about 25% of my tasks (mainly design) with the rest of my time sketching and doing contract admin. 25% is just enough to keep my skill levels up to speed. I use archicad less but as I ‘know’ it better have little problem returning to it after a few months away. You do not need the latest PC with huge amounts of RAM to run archicad unlike revit which is very resource hungry. Most firms adopting revit do so because of autodesk’s buy in deals. They are then left reeling after the 2nd year licensing and hardware upgrades.

I can’t see any office in WA going 100% BIM any time soon but autocad will decline (but not disappear) and revit increase. Interestingly the home builder market here are big archicad users with most drafting/design jobs calling for archicad skills.

Autocad skill will get you work in most architects offices
Revit skill will get you work in some offices but growing
Archicad skill will get you work in less offices unless it’s a project home designer. The user base seems stable but not wide spread here. I only know of one office in Australia that is 100% BIM and that is very design focused awarding winning practice based in Melbourne. And they use archicad, so there you go
Revit. AND Inventor. AND Ecotect. AND CityEngine.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
forgot one. AND Affinity!
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1