Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Speckle and Open BIM

Ahmed_K
Advisor

Hi there ! 

Archicad has been introduced as a locomotive for Open BIM and IFC workflow, i can see now a very fast raise of Speckle, for data and geometry exchange between softwares, without loss, it try to converts elements to native geometries for each software, this platform integrates almost all the popular softwares in the market, 

Revit, Sketchup and Rhino have the most focus on development, it's strange to not to see ArchiCAD in the front of the development,

Speckle may be the future for collaboration and exchange, regarding the progress they did in theese few years, who knows, 

This thread is for you to exchange, discuss about this platform and the experience of anyone used it as experimental or in a real work ! 

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 27
Windows 11 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
46 REPLIES 46

Thanks for the information.

Probably the most important and maybe difficult, connection to handle will be between Archicad-Revit.

I might collaborate with some architects who are using Revit so soon I will have to dive in Speckle.

It is still not clear though whether this agreemment  between Nemetscheck and Autodesk

https://adsknews.autodesk.com/en/pressrelease/autodesk-Nemetschek-interoperability/

will produce any results.............

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.
Iyur
Booster

@jsdbroughton thanks for reply!
Actually it's a good pace of development, anyway. See what you've done for the last couple of years, it's pretty amazing.

Yeah, the main value in Speckle the data across all it's schemas, which could be used in a lot of different ways. Well, if too speak about geometry reference translation, I guess it has almost no issues with that.

_c_
Enthusiast

I am starting with the new connector now, I have a perfect project for some truly experimental things and will dive into it as far as possible.

_c_
jsdbroughton
Booster

Whatever you find, good or bad, let us know at https://speckle.community. I do my best to monitor other forums but cannot be everywhere all at one 💙

_c_
Enthusiast

Let's start with futility: Speckle is graphically stunning right out of the box, from the interface to the model it displays.
Navigating around the model, even a large one, is fluid. It's a pleasure. 😍

There are a few glitches where the connection cannot be established and Archicad has to be restarted.

I'll document them in the Speckle forum as soon as I can reproduce them.

A question, is the development in Python limited compared to C#? The SDK is in C#.

I love Python but might want to use C#, rather than be stuck with limits all the time.

_c_

Nominally there is no difference between speckle-sharp and specklepy. The ArchiCAD connector uses C# mostly as a convenience wrapper to a C++ core more befitting the API. 

Where differences exist tends to be related to the connectors we have that use them. Possibly the objects schema library is more up to date in speckle-sharp as the BIM and Structural softwares that publish data use that and changes land there first. Likewise some new methodologies arising from us rebuilding all connectors landing in C# first. 

The last areas of the old semantics migrating to new (Steam=>Project, Branch=>Model, Commit=>Version) are on the path to completion in specklepy soon. 

Otherwise in terms of capabilities there’s not a functional difference. 

Thank you! Great to know!

I'll start then with Python and eventually move to C#, should that be needed (hopefully not).

There is quite a documentation and am reading everything right now.

_c_