BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

artlantis 3 and Archicad 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Has anyone tried (or even beta-tested) Artlantis 3 on a mac platform?
I'm wondering if it is stable and fully compatible with AC12 and older Artlantis legacy files
The new features look impressive....but the reviews still leave me wondering.

Thanks
e
30 REPLIES 30
Thomas Holm
Booster
David wrote:
Testing the Artlantis 3 demo I'm afraid I have seen render times increase by an order of ten...
Thanks David, for letting us know!

Are you sure this isn't a settings issue? I kind of have a problem with Abvent pursuing render quality (where competition is fierce) at the expense of rendering speed (where they've had their marketing edge all along). Shooting themselves in their feet isn't what they want.

Of course it could be an issue of the 3.0 release not being fully optimized yet. They need the upgrade revenues. And I haven't had time for the demo, I like to rely on the advice of my peers 😉
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
For Dwight Atkinson "The Master" :
We would like to hear from your experience on this new release from artlantis.
anticipated thanks for any imput you may find..
Dwight
Newcomer
Artlantis 3 a true enhancement of program function. I have spent little time with it so far since I am working on another project right now: a cook book.

Upgrade recommended. Keep Abvent alive in difficult times.

Lights: Variable light projection - still rudimentary, but i like where this is headed — adds realism to projected light like downspill on walls.

Layers: Can orchestrate visibility of elements. Never thought about needing it before, but feature is useful - results in list hierarchy - better order. Makes you think about making special view sets for 3D views prior to export, and organize 3D elements better.

Expert Rendering adjustments: Extreme settings can drive your pickup truck of rendering time into a mud filled ditch upside down, but permits delayed light energy decay and subtle luminosity effects most users will never use [enable "Display Expert" in General preferences.] Could easily spend a stormy weekend playing in settings dialog alone, sitting in basement motionless except for periodic removal of pants. I have no life except for eating.

New shader surfaces: Bad News: Generally a disappointment since new texture surfaces are superficial, weak. Good News: There's several.

Animated sky, etc: Yay, for passing-of-day studies, etc.
Dwight Atkinson
David Collins
Advocate
Thomas wrote:
Are you sure this isn't a settings issue?
I actually can't remember the last time I was really sure of anything.

I did have the Art 3 radiosity set a low as possible (1 bounce + 1 bounce or something like) to try to approximate the Low radiosity setting in Art 2, but something else might be going on. Like I say, my current projects are way over the top, so I don't think my test runs are necessarily meaningful.

You should take some time with the demo and see how it works for you.
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
I am working on another project right now: a cook book.
Impatient to read it…
Thomas Holm
Booster
David wrote:
...You should take some time with the demo and see how it works for you.
Well, my projects are mostly small, so I guess Karl's findings may be more to the point for my use. Also, speed is more important than quality for me.

I am a bit disappointed by the new Artlantis version, though. None of my two main wishes for Artlantis were fulfilled:

I very often need to place the rendered model in a background photo, for the planning permit.

1. I'd like a hairline (or transparent hidden line) display option for the preview. It would make matching the model to the photo so much easier.

2. I'd like an option to use the Heliodon lighting and sky only for reflections, even when I have a background photo inserted (and no foreground).
Today, when rendering with the background on, Artl shows the background through in windows and glass reflecting surfaces. It's like the model gets transparent instead of reflecting, and it happens even if there are solid walls behind the windows in question. Sometimes looks very weird and totally out of place.

To avoid this issue, I have to either
- edit the background beforehand in Photoshop so there is nothing that can show through windows - a tedious process, or
- render twice, once with background on, one with it off, and combine the renders in Photoshop. Time consuming and almost as tedious!

If someone (Dwight??) has an easy workaround for this (I regard it as a bug) I'd be very happy! I'm always hoping it's my mistake, but no cure so far.
Dwight
Newcomer
For photo alignment: Just an idea: with the new layer visibility feature - turn off walls, etc, until only a few things remain?

For reflected background: a sadly amateur problem for such a sophisticated application. I uses big images positioned to provide more plausible reflections just outside the camera view. You might make up a large billboard and keep it in the Catalog......

For Hollandaise Sauce: Finally, squeeze the halved lemon over the butter and egg mixture, crushing it in your fist. Catch the seeds between your fingers.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight said: "I have spent little time with it so far since I am working on another project right now: a cook book."

Is work so bad you are thinking of changing professions?
Many people here, artists, actors, administrators, managers even architects are out of work and are opening restaurants, diners, street food vending wagons. It seems the food business is more resistant to the recession than construction or show business. My wife cooks good... I have even talked to her about the idea.
Maybe Ill need your book in the future. I hope the images are good and self explanatory
Thomas Holm
Booster
Dwight wrote:
For photo alignment: Just an idea: with the new layer visibility feature - turn off walls, etc, until only a few things remain
Yep. I'd use that. Now I use the Invisible shader, but it doesn't always cut it.
For reflected background: a sadly amateur problem for such a sophisticated application.
Yes. I think there must be something wrong (amateurish?) with the reflection calculation algoritm when it makes items look transparent when they are not. Haven't tested that in Artl3 yet, though.
I uses big images positioned to provide more plausible reflections just outside the camera view.
Can do. But it's just another time-consuming workaround.
For Hollandaise Sauce: Finally, squeeze the halved lemon over the butter and egg mixture, crushing it in your fist. Catch the seeds between your fingers.
THAT is an idea I appreciate whole-heartedly!
But I'm wondering, I seem to recall that once in the old Archicad-Talk mail list days, you described some exotic dish from the far Canadian north, something I probably would not handle closer than with a ten-foot pole. (Guess it's conceptually similar to our surströmming [sour herring] which is rotten & canned fish) I don't remember its name. Will you include that in your cookbook?
Karl Ottenstein
Thomas wrote:
But I'm wondering, I seem to recall that once in the old Archicad-Talk mail list days, you described some exotic dish from the far Canadian north, something I probably would not handle closer than with a ten-foot pole. (Guess it's conceptually similar to our surströmming [sour herring] which is rotten & canned fish) I don't remember its name. Will you include that in your cookbook?
Wow, what a memory, Thomas! I think that was probably 8 years ago?

It was "muktuk" as I recall:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muktuk

and why nobody invites Dwight to potlucks! 🙂

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!