BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

2d objects preview window

Peter Bennison
Contributor
Making simple strictly 2d library parts out of lines, circles etc - how can you copy paste into the preview window when saving as object, in order to have a visual icon in object/library menu ? I can do this with 3d objects, but 2d object preview window will only take a bitmap ?
Thanks
Archicad 21 FR MacBook 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i7 16Mo RAM MacOS Sierra
9 REPLIES 9
Erika Epstein
Booster
There's probably a better way, but I place the symbol in the floor plan window and then take a screen shot of it. This is what I use for the preview image.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was about to post this question but I think we are asking about the same issue. I am trying to edit my GDL preview window to be the same as the 2D window.
I took an existing 2D symbol and edit it in 2D. But the preview window does not reflect the change. How can I change the preview window ?

(Sorry if this is not the same issue)
Karl Ottenstein
Yes, it is the same issue. Erika gave the answer - take a screenshot.

Since you're both on Mac, it is pretty easy: cmd+shift+4 gives you a crosshair cursor. Drag as close to a square around your placed symbol. The capture goes to your desktop. (There are options for this screenshot that can change the format it is saved in - for example, I use the visual interface in Onyx to set it to save in PNG format for posting to these forums, but that's not important here.)

Open the saved screenshot (typically on your desktop) in Preview, select all, copy and then open the "Preview Picture" window (bottom button in GDL editor) and paste into there. Voila.

Easiest way to create the actual symbol of course is to just paste your 2D elements into the "2D Symbol" window of the GDL editor.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
See attached screenshot. Captured image from plan, opened in Preview (left window), copied, pasted into Preview Picture (middle window), result shows up as preview in editor and in Object Settings dialog now.

Note, separately, that I changed the subtype of this created symbol to "Drawing Symbol" by clicking the subtype button in the editor. By default, newly created objects are of type model element (3D).

Cheers,
Karl
copy-preview.png
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Erika Epstein
Booster
Karl wrote:
(There are options for this screenshot that can change the format it is saved in - for example, I use the visual interface in Onyx to set it to save in PNG format for posting to these forums, but that's not important here.)
Karl
Karl, If this isn't hijacking the thread, why png? I tend to use jpg.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Karl Ottenstein
Erika wrote:
Karl, If this isn't hijacking the thread, why png? I tend to use jpg.
To avoid a hijack, I started a new topic here:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=27683

😉

Karl
Barry Kelly
Karl wrote:
Yes, it is the same issue. Erika gave the answer - take a screenshot.

Since you're both on Mac, it is pretty easy: cmd+shift+4 gives you a crosshair cursor. Drag as close to a square around your placed symbol. The capture goes to your desktop. (There are options for this screenshot that can change the format it is saved in - for example, I use the visual interface in Onyx to set it to save in PNG format for posting to these forums, but that's not important here.)

Open the saved screenshot (typically on your desktop) in Preview, select all, copy and then open the "Preview Picture" window (bottom button in GDL editor) and paste into there. Voila.

Easiest way to create the actual symbol of course is to just paste your 2D elements into the "2D Symbol" window of the GDL editor.

Cheers,
Karl
I know you were speaking MAC but in Windows I just open the "2D full view" window, place a marquee, copy and paste into the "Preview" window.

If you get an error message to say that the clipborad is empty there is a Registry entry that can be changed to allow the copied image to be place in the clipboard as a bitmap image - set "Copy to picture also" to be on (value = 1).

This same registry change will also allow you to copy any image from you plan or model and paste it into the "Project preview" of your Archicad file which will change the icon for the PLN file.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Karl Ottenstein
Barry wrote:
If you get an error message to say that the clipborad is empty there is a Registry entry that can be changed to allow the copied image to be place in the clipboard as a bitmap image - set "Copy to picture also" to be on (value = 1).
Thanks, Barry. I found that same option in the com.graphisoft.AC 12.0.0 <etc>.plist file on Mac under Input just now. But, enabling it doesn't really work for this purpose, as the copied image is tiny, and is not adjusted to fit the available 128 x 128 preview area. So, Mac folks may be stuck with screenshots for now, unless there is another setting...

Cheers,
Karl
Anonymous
Not applicable
In floor plan window, select the object and copy paste into preview symbol window.
If it looks too small, increase scale.

If you want some margins around symbol, use the thin marquee.
Learn and get certified!