BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Composite Wall Fill Origin

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good morning all,

now I think i've done this before, but for the life of me i cant remember how to do it.

I am trying to create a stud framed wall with plasterboard lining each side as a composite structure. The two linings are no problem, but the centre fill I want to show the studs, so I drew the studs, copy and paste into a new fill, and then use this fill in the composite structure. The problem is that the studs are never in the correct location when I place a wall, they overlap the edge of the wall, dont show at all etc etc.

Is there a way to set the origin of a fill in a composite structure?

Cheers

Mike
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
in short, no
do a search on the forum for the insulation fill in composite structures: you'll find the same issue... but perhaps there's a tip/workaround from others on how they deal with this?
HTH
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just a guess.
How about in a Complex Profile.
Have not yet tried this, but maybe it would work to do something like
draw a poly line down the "stud" fill in a wavering way like grain of wood and do a few splits to get grain lines to show up in your CP?
There is of course the possibility that I also misunderstood your question
entirely.
updated; Ok now tried it and can't get split tool to split along a polyline.
That's a bummer.
So can only get a "stud" to look like a bunch of straight line splits.
Not too attractive. Looks more like fractured stud than grain lines.
So wish is the split tool to work like spline, or at least line tool.
griggadee
Contributor
Are there any new workarounds to achieve this now? The original post was seven years ago and I have the same issue now.

Cheers,
Paul Griggs BSc (Hons) MCIAT MCIOB
Chartered Architectural Technologist
AC23, i5 3570K Processor, 16gb RAM, NVidia 570GTX Graphics Card, 250gb SSD Drive
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
If I can be bothered with drawings studs, I use fills, that I copy around, very tedious.

You could make a frame work with the curtain wall tool, but you're basically modelling the same thing twice.

I think there are some 3rd party solutions with add-ons what make the whole framework for you, but I've hardly ever had to draw all the studs for contractors. Less work on my end, and stuff gets built regardless.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
griggadee
Contributor
Thanks Erwin.

The problem for me is that I need to show brick coursing, not stud positions, as we are using long linear bricks that require special cut & bonded corners. I need to provide the contractor with exact brick sizes required and therefore being able to specify the origin of an automatic fill would save me a significant amount of time.

I've just spent the last two hours using fills, but the lack of snap points makes it a rather tedious process!

One for future versions of ArchiCAD Graphisoft??
AC23, i5 3570K Processor, 16gb RAM, NVidia 570GTX Graphics Card, 250gb SSD Drive
Eduardo Rolon
You can try this.

http://www.eptar.hu/cadsupport.php?id=product_block&pID=1&Lang=ENG
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

griggadee
Contributor
Thanks Ejrolon. I'll download the demo version first and give it a whirl!
Learn and get certified!