Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Dashed line display problem when 2 slabs share an edge

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm currently using Slabs to show exterior site-work such as steps, patios, etc. as well as for the model base itself. On my demolition plan, I want to show some of the steps with dashed edges. The problem I'm having is that when two adjacent slabs are viewed in plan, their edges overlap. This results in a solid line in plan, even if both slab edge pens are set to dashed, because the dashes do not necessarily occur in the same place.

Is it possible to set ArchiCad to display only the slab edge line of the upper slab, so that this overlap does not occur? Is there another way of fixing this problem without resorting to 2D fixes?
7 REPLIES 7
JaredBanks
Mentor
Can you hide one of the slabs? Some people have also had luck with making one of the slab's lines white. I tend to do 80% of my dashed lines with 2D for ease and control (and because some of my coworkers want to see dashed lines meet perfectly at corners).
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Check the attached image. It explains how to achieve this.

The line type pattern of polygons is drawn starting from their start point. The below trick works because we start the polygon for both Slabs at the same point and we are drawing them in the same direction.
If you create a Polygon using SPACE-click, the beginning point of the polygon and its direction is not under your control. This is why you should draw it manually in such a case.
PolygonsCommonEdge.png
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
What a grate Trick. Thanks Laszlo.
vistasp
Advisor
Nice one Laszlo!
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
JaredBanks
Mentor
That's awesome. Is there anyway to reverse the direction or alter the beginning point of the slab once it's drawn (similar to some of the modify wall commands)?
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
JaredBanks wrote:
That's awesome. Is there anyway to reverse the direction or alter the beginning point of the slab once it's drawn (similar to some of the modify wall commands)?
Not that I know of.
Probably could be done with some API command.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's great if you only have 2 slabs or roofs. Unfortunately that is not always the case, especially with hip roofs.