Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to create Elevation Line weight

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Friends,
I am having some problems with Archicad Elevation System.
To create sense of depth Archicad Elevation use shadow. Throw shadow we understand the distance among elements. Instead of line weight use of shadow is really nice.

But I need to use line weight because other partners (engineers or designers) don't use Archicad. They use Autocad. And they don't appreciate shadow in their Auto cad file. When I send Cad file with shadow they asked me to send the drawing just using line weight.
I know Archicad has a distant marker. I used that already. But I need more than 4 line depth in my Autocad elevation drawing. I am struggling with this for last 2 weeks. I would be really happy if you guys suggest something.
10 REPLIES 10
Hello avishiplu,
avishiplu wrote:
When I send Cad file with shadow they asked me to send the drawing just using line weight.
Can you explain"using line weight" about shadows ?
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Anonymous
Not applicable
I mean,
they dont need shadow in drawing.
They need different line weight for object in distance. What we did in hand made drafting. For example, 1 pt for nearest element . 0.8pt for the next one, 0.7, 0.5 etc... O.1 for the farthest element in elevation. Actually we use this technique in drafting class in our architectural schools..
Stress Co_
Advisor
Discussed Here:
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=55372&p=264663

I use the traced Polyline work-a-round method.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Christophe wrote:
Hello avishiplu,
avishiplu wrote:
When I send Cad file with shadow they asked me to send the drawing just using line weight.
Can you explain"using line weight" about shadows?
Dear Christophe
Thanks for your interest in this issue. Here I attached two images which express my expectation.
Fig-1: Used line weight to show the depth/distance among building elements. ( I want to this).
Fig-2: Used shadow to show the depth/distance among building elements. ( I don't want to use shadow. ).

Sincerely
Avi
Anonymous
Not applicable
Fig-2: Used shadow to show the depth/distance among building elements. ( I don't want to use shadow. ).
Anonymous
Not applicable
here is a sample video showing what I am looking for. Although it's for Revit, I just want the output like this.
Barry Kelly
The only option we have is the "Marked Distance" option that will give you 2 different line weights.
But that is it.

To get any more than 2 line weights you will have to manually add lines or maybe you can set up multiple elevations and limit the depth of each one.
So where the extent of the first elevation stops the second elevation starts.
Where the second extent stops, the third starts, and so on.
Then you can override the line thickness in each elevation.
Now you just have to stack all of the elevation drawings on top of each other in the layout.
It should work but I think it is a bit messy.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Hello avishiplu,

Thanks about these great illustrations. I agree with Barry and I add that your aim seems to be out of graphical representation rules (in France for sure). 😕
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
The only option we have is the "Marked Distance" option that will give you 2 different line weights.
But that is it.

To get any more than 2 line weights you will have to manually add lines or maybe you can set up multiple elevations and limit the depth of each one.
So where the extent of the first elevation stops the second elevation starts.
Where the second extent stops, the third starts, and so on.
Then you can override the line thickness in each elevation.
Now you just have to stack all of the elevation drawings on top of each other in the layout.
It should work but I think it is a bit messy.

Barry.
Dear Barry Kelly
Thanks for ur detailed explanation. I wish Archicad will add a feature to achieve this result easily. I felt it's necessary for construction documents.