BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Intersection priorities

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

I STILL find myself getting confused with intersection priorities at times. It usually works how I expect it to but then every now and then it doesn't, so I can only assume my understanding of it is not 100% accurate.

I am trying to use a beam with a building material that has a higher intersection priority to cut out a part of a column, working like a SEO without using SEO. The elements have the same layer intersection group number, but the column is unaffected. Is this because a column has a higher intersection priority than a beam, and therefore is unaffected by building material intersection priority?

Any help appreciated.
Jake

Edit: I just tried to intersect it the column with another column with a higher priority building material and it still didn't work. Are columns exempt from intersection priorities entirely or something?
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
The plot thickens!

The column I'm trying to cut through is a custom profile Ubeam. When I extend the beam to pass through both flanges, the intersection works and the column is cutaway where the beam passes through. But if I shorten the beam again to only pass through one flange, the intersection doesn't work. In neither instance is the beam passing through the column reference line.

Can anyone explain this sorcery?
Barry Kelly
Not all elements have this automatic Priority Based Connection.
Beams and columns do, and the stronger one should cut the weaker one.

This page and chart may help explain some more.

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/128253/

Can you post a screen shot of the problem in 3D (preferably with the column selected so we can see if it is being cut).
Like this...

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
jake_h03 wrote:
The plot thickens!

The column I'm trying to cut through is a custom profile Ubeam. When I extend the beam to pass through both flanges, the intersection works and the column is cutaway where the beam passes through. But if I shorten the beam again to only pass through one flange, the intersection doesn't work. In neither instance is the beam passing through the column reference line.

Can anyone explain this sorcery?

Like this?

It should still work.

If the column or beam are made up from multiple skins (different building materials) then this may have an affect.
I would need to see it in 3D.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry, appreciate the help.

It appears I may have a glitch.

First image shows intersection through one flange, with no affect

If I extend the beam to pass through both flanges, it works as it should

Problem is I only want to show one flange cut away and the other solid. Any ideas?
Barry Kelly
I am not sure what is happening here.
Is there something cutting or trimming the top of your column already?

Your signature says Archicad 18-19.
What version are you actually using?
I just checked in 18 and had no problems there either.

Is it possible to select that column and beam and save the selection as a module?
Then ZIP that module and attach to a post here?

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Barry,

That's correct, there is a solid element operator (roof element) trimming top of the column at a 12 degree angle. However this isn't the problem as I've tried rebuilding this from scratch in a different location. At first it worked correctly, then I went back and it was unaffected by the intersection again. I can only assume it's a bug of some sort.

I've recently upgraded to AC24 but this is an old project that is still in AC19 and I haven't bothered to transfer across.

I've burnt a fair bit of time trying to work this out and now need to produce some drawings but I will upload a file when I get a chance.

Cheers, Jake
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Jake,

Thank you for your report and I am very sorry about the issue!

I was unable to reproduce the issue, however, I was thinking if Legacy Intersection is turned on? Maybe that is what caused this intersection behavior. Please let me know if it is the case. Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Learn and get certified!