GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Master Info Control Object

MichaelIserief
Contributor

I was hoping to create an object that could be used to control settings of other objects. (e.g set the Local Government Area which would update parameters across the title block, retaining wall matrix and driveway design matrix objects). I could have this happen with the MVO settings, however this poses a risk of editing the wrong MVO option set or redefining a view with the incorrect information. 

Is there another way of achieving this else besides the MVO that I might be missing here? 

13 REPLIES 13
Lingwisyer
Guru

Other than MVO, you could use the text I/O, but this will only refresh on object update.

https://gdl.Graphisoft.com/tips-and-tricks/how-to-read-and-write-text-files

Open your master object, make your changes, text out, refresh / reload all relevant objects.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

I use MVO settings that read from a library master object so that I can have default settings for the project that just takes typing in the name of the master settings into my MVO settings so that they all read from the same place. It's also allows me to generate multiple options with exteriors that the labels change automatically with based on which default parameter I'm specifying the MVO to read to

A simple approach if you don't want to go down a database or MVO route, could be to have layer options within the objects themselves and you go into the object and change the Local Authority in settings which controls the layer view of the object and then they will display the different alternatives that you want to see.

Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed
AC6 - AC27 | WIN 11 | i9-10900K, 3.7Ghz | 32GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX
DGSketcher
Legend

I know the problem and the consequences can be serious if the MVOs aren't consistent in my world. I actually only have one MVO to avoid the problem, but for many that isn't an option. It has been discussed before and a suggestion has been made that there should be a level above MVO that is project specific rather than view specific. Unfortunately I haven't seen any movement to suggest it is being considered yet.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

We used to have MVO control for our Zone stamps and labels so we could label things differently depending on the view. It was a pretty powerful solution for 2013, and thankfully that solution isn't needed anymore. The challenge is making all workflows user proof. You need to design every single workflow to the lowest common denominator. The least capable person that may need to work in the file. It is hard but the time taken to assess and work through the different iterations more than makes up for the time that could be lost due to user errors. 

Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed
AC6 - AC27 | WIN 11 | i9-10900K, 3.7Ghz | 32GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX

I am in a single user office, should I be worried?  😂

I have leveraged the MVO to the nth degree in my framed building system. It controls roof angles, frame sizes, setting out points etc in several GDL objects, any divergence between MVOs could result in a major **ck up from which I would not recover with the client. 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Forgive me, I am "self taught" and while I impress those in my office I am far from an expert.

By layer options are you suggesting that there is a way to control the layer settings of views from within a GDL object or is this simply some logic to control the display based on a layer combination set within the view?

HAHA, if I was on my own I probably would do the same thing, unfortunately I have other techs that are not quite as versed in all the settings as I am and this would definitely result in the latter.

@Nathan Hildebrandt wrote:

The challenge is making all workflows user proof. You need to design every single workflow to the lowest common denominator.

I once heard a wise piece of advice, which may be a bit crass but it nails the sentiment

"just as you think you've made something idiot proof, BAM! the universe goes ahead and builds a bigger idiot"

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!