BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Search by Layer

Vitruvius
Contributor
I have a layer which Attribute Manager indicates has data. I can't seem to find this data via a regular Find & Select type search which can only do one view, plan etc. at a time.

I'd like to find out what the element(s) is and where it is.

Is there a way to search all plans, elevations, etc. for something on a specific layer? And tell you which view it is on?

Many thanks
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
Vitruvius wrote:
Is there a way to search all plans, elevations, etc. for something on a specific layer? And tell you which view it is on?
Not that I am aware of.

Also it may not be an actual element in a view.
It could be just the default setting for one of your tools.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Bill
Contributor
You could determine, at least, whether or not it's a modelling element by turning on all elements across all layers and stories and renovation filters (don't forget about the demo... I've forgotten about that one before!) and viewing all of the elements in the 3D window. In that window you can then do the Find & Select in the 3D window. If you find it, great; if not, then you know then that it least it's not a modelling element and can then focus on specific saved views, worksheets, layouts, etc.

Hope that helps,

Bill
Bill Szustak RA

Principal, Springboard Design

ArchiCAD 25, macOS Ventura 13.4.1
DGSketcher
Legend
I am guessing you want to delete an unwanted layer. If this is the case do as Bill advised above. If nothing is highlighted then it will be an attribute in a tool somewhere. In this situation I just delete the layer, usually in the layer manager, and when the warning pops up select the"move to layer" option and pick the "Archicad" layer. This way nothing should go missing but whatever has changed will appear in all relevant views as you can't hide the ArchiCAD layer.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Vitruvius
Contributor
Thanks for the input.

I did a 3D view with all layers on and still couldn't pick out the item(s). It may be on a detail sheet or whatever. But to go through 100 different views etc. is just too tedious!

The idea of deleting the layer, hitting "move to layer - Archicad" is the best solution. Still an element of mystery but at least nothing is lost.

Cheers
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
When using Delete and Replace, click on the "Details..." button to see an overviews of the number of elements etc still using that Layer.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Maybe the Layer is contained in the definition of a Favorite. That will also cause it to appear used in the Attribute Manager.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Stress Co_
Advisor
laszlonagy wrote:
Maybe the Layer is contained in the definition of a Favorite. That will also cause it to appear used in the Attribute Manager.
Clicking "Details" (thanks James) will tell you.
Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 1.40.43 PM.png
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Learn and get certified!