BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Upgrading to 8.1

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I love the speed of 8.1. Yes Plotmaker has some very nice features. BUT, IT WILL TAKE AN ACT OF CONGRESS TO GET ME TO UPGRADE BEFORE I RETIRE! I have 10 years until that day. I can not see why we have to relearn EVERYTHING for a simple .1 upgrade.
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
Dr wrote:
Yes, I love the speed of 8.1. Yes Plotmaker has some very nice features. BUT, IT WILL TAKE AN ACT OF CONGRESS TO GET ME TO UPGRADE BEFORE I RETIRE! I have 10 years until that day. I can not see why we have to relearn EVERYTHING for a simple .1 upgrade.
Hi Dave,

Can't tell if you're pulling our legs, or serious...? You're apparently on 8.0 now; there isn't anything to be relearned to use 8.1 in the same way that you are using 8.0 other than that the arrow key doesn't toggle tool and select anymore (although you can change the shortcut keys to have it do that again - I'm using the backquote, below the Esc key instead).

There are some new things to learn if you want to use some of the great new features, but you can merrily work as you used to AFAIK.

What are you finding that you have to relearn?

Hopefully, we'll collectively smooth the waters.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Djordje
Ace
Dr wrote:
BUT, IT WILL TAKE AN ACT OF CONGRESS TO GET ME TO UPGRADE BEFORE I RETIRE! I have 10 years until that day. I can not see why we have to relearn EVERYTHING for a simple .1 upgrade.
You don't for the 8.0 to 8.1

One tenth is a problem for an old hand like you? Naaaah ...

Should it be 6.o to 8.1, well, I can see a small problem there.

And, as pointed out before, at least it is free!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yesterday was a very frustrating day. Deadlines to be met, fires to put out, errors in plans that could cost us money, etc. Yesterday was also the second day using 8.1. When you factor in all of the problems we have had with 8.0, 8r1, 8r2, 8r3 and now 8.1, I simply have had it with upgrading. Opened 8.1 with a plan started in 8r3, crashed 4 time loading the libraries. Reorganized my libraries and finally got to work. All of my custom key combos were gone. Arrow key doesn't do what it used to, etc, etc. Ok, fix all of those things and AC crashed two or three times. Seems you can't have as many programs open as we used to have. AC 8.1 needs alot of memory. Finally get ready to print, go to plotmaker 3.1 and all of my section markers have to be changed to something other than what they were. Can't figure out why the scale and pen weights are grayed out in plotmaker, go to this forum and find out about the new prefs and how to change that. Just another step. finally hit print and now my master border is being cut off. Redo the master, and it still doesn't fit the paper. The printer didn't change, the master didn't change, tried to use the margins of the device. It was worse. Now instead of just one side of the border being cut off, it cuts off both the top and bottom. That's when I ran out of steam, and sounded off. Yes, I will get it figured out, yes all of the new features are great. We just have had a very unproductive 6 months and was feeling frustrated. I stand by my original statement, It will take one hell of a convincing argument to get me to move to Version 9 when it comes out.
BTW, I am printing to an Epson 3000, C sized paper (probably wasted two weeks getting that to print earlier in the year). Any body know what the margins should be and why my old border is now being cut off? [/img]
Stuart Bloese
Booster
I have just upgraded to 8.1 (Last Friday) So far Plotmaker seems to work slightly better in so far as it does not constantly try to resize your layouts when you work at a different scale.

But I have a real problem with the way the shortcut keys have changed again. Drag a copy, mirror a copy and so on have all had their shortcut keys changed. This is an irritation as I had only just got use to v8.0 shortcuts. The real problem with them is that if you move the centre of origin once you have selected drag hitting the shift alt will cause it to change to drag a copy. It seem like the program sometimes knows when this is the case and does not select drag a copy which makes this problem even worse.

PLEASE GIVE ME THE VERSION 8.0 SHORTCUT KEYS THAT WORK, AND STOP CHANGING THE SHORTCUTS JUST FOT THE SAKE OF IT.

Thanks (I feel better for that)

Stuart
I am worried about how many times ArchiCAD 8.1 is freezing up (windows XP).
It happens invariably shortly after starting archiCAD afresh, and always when using Ctrl-C and X and V keys for copying and pasting. on these occasions, you use one of those keys, the hourglass starts up and then continues for ever and shortly after you get an "ArchiCAD not Responding" message in the title bar. the result of this is that one is nervously saving every 2 mins or so, to avoid losing data.
I used to think it was GDL , but thats because i use GDL most of the time. It also does it with common copy and paste activities in the main ArchiCAD too.
when you restart after an Alt Ctrl Del, it seems to go for a good long time before it next occurs. Seems to happen when AC has been booted for the first time.
>>>david
Karl Ottenstein
david wrote:
I am worried about how many times ArchiCAD 8.1 is freezing up (windows XP).
It happens invariably shortly after starting archiCAD afresh, and always when using Ctrl-C and X and V keys for copying and pasting. >>>david
We talked about this quite a bit on the old list with 8.0. I had it happening with R1 and R2. Don't recall it happening with R3 and have never had a problem with 8.1.

Alex had posted a tip then that seemed to work - suggested opening a memory hog application like Photoshop and it seemed to clear the log jam that AC was having...it would start responding again. I thought it might have had something to do with Microsoft Outlook (as opposed to Outlook Express), but never narrowed it down.

Wonder if others are having a similar problem?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I've already used 8.1 but that was an international version.

I have just moved jobs and was wondering if 8.1 is available for the Australian market? Does it need to be localised?

Currently using 8.0 v3 on OSX.

James.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Learn and get certified!