Archicad C++ API
About Archicad add-on development using the C++ API.

Ceiling Add-on ideas

TomWaltz
Participant
To break off some of the posts from my previous "ideas" thread:
2) The ability to have multiple ceiling types within a room.

In what way would like the association between a ceiling and a room to be expressed? Or are you simply pointing out that a solution which draws only one ceiling in a room is inadequate?
I'm simply pointing out that any ceiling function would need to accommotate multiple ceiling types within a room. Most likely, it would have to relate to the Zone bounding the room, in order to really "associate" with the room.
5) The ability to turn much of this on and off with viewsets/display options.

Some means of changing the appearance of the ceiling can easily be added, but it wouldn't work as fast as built-in display options. I don't know of a way of storing the setting with a view set either (haven't explored that yet).

TomWaltz wrote:
6) The ability to see ceiling construction (bracing, grid pieces, tile profiles) in section views

There are ways to achieve this, but there are wider issues to consider. First, this level of detail might cripple ArchiCAD's performance. Second, the ceiling needs to behave as a whole in some respects, but making it work sensibly from a construction viewpoint will almost certainly require fine-tuning of individual components. We have a solution for this in FrameWright, but it may not entirely suit this problem.
To me, 5 and 6 were tightly related. If you are going to have tons of construction data, as well as a 2D plan view, there would have to be a level of visibility and editability.

The Roof Framer and Wall Framers came to mind. In both sitations, you can place what you want, on a seperate layer if desired, and move around the elements placed automatically.

The Wall framer is better in the sense that it self-updates, but does not give as much freedom to add/move/delete members once it is placed.

The Roof framer is better in the sense that you have absolute freedom to move pieces around, delete them, or copy them as needed.
Tom Waltz
6 REPLIES 6
Djordje
Ace
TomWaltz wrote:
I'm simply pointing out that any ceiling function would need to accommotate multiple ceiling types within a room. Most likely, it would have to relate to the Zone bounding the room, in order to really "associate" with the room.
The Zone is not enough.

A ceiling can also have multiple levels, bulkheads, various materials, corniches, any number of horizontal and vertical AC vents (still have to see a horizontal one in any of the libraries), canbe curved and wavy and ... the sky is the limit. I am currently finalizing the villa for the owner of the company I work for in Emirates Hills (see www.emaar.com for an idea) and NONE of the spaces have a single level ceiling, except the servant's quarters' toilets. All of the areas have false ceilings, because of necessary AC ducting.

From a user's point of view, I would like to see a variety, practically limitless (user definable components, modules ?) in combination.

Possible?

I will post some of the ceilings if you want to get the idea?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
TomWaltz
Participant
A ceiling can also have multiple levels, bulkheads, various materials, corniches, any number of horizontal and vertical AC vents (still have to see a horizontal one in any of the libraries), canbe curved and wavy and ... the sky is the limit.

From a user's point of view, I would like to see a variety, practically limitless (user definable components, modules ?) in combination.

I will post some of the ceilings if you want to get the idea?
I totally agree. A ceiling Add-on needs a LOT of functionality.

I was just thinking that Zones would be a good way of defining the "outer limits" of the room, so perhaps it could tie in to the Finish Schedule. I'm in the earilest stages of pre-design, so I'm just kicking out ideas,

I was thinking of trying to develop this in levels, starting with the simplest (creating a simple Reflected Ceiling Plan) and progressing to the most complex (cathedral ceilings with exposed trusses and soffits around the edge, with vertical vents and a helical room, the construction of which show up in section).

Since I have a captive audience of about 15 Archicad users in the office, I can test out ideas and get feedback pretty quickly.
Tom Waltz
Djordje
Ace
TomWaltz wrote:
I was just thinking that Zones would be a good way of defining the "outer limits" of the room, so perhaps it could tie in to the Finish Schedule. I'm in the earilest stages of pre-design, so I'm just kicking out ideas,

I was thinking of trying to develop this in levels, starting with the simplest (creating a simple Reflected Ceiling Plan) and progressing to the most complex (cathedral ceilings with exposed trusses and soffits around the edge, with vertical vents and a helical room, the construction of which show up in section).
In fact, the basic setup of the existing Ceiling wizard is quite OK; BUT, it is pretty obvious that there was not enough architectural feedback, and that only the European way of office building (simple, flat, clean) was considered.

Helical? YESSS! Flying butresses? YESSSS! Paladian cupola? YESSSSS!

OK, time to go to sleep ... 😉
Djordje

HP Omen
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Djordje,

BTW we are going to release a ceiling add-on: ArchiPanel.
Could you be so kind to send me some examples illustrating what you mean?
This should be the right time to implement new features or to modifying the existing ones...

friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft Italy Srl | Via Rossignago 2/A Spinea Venezia 30038 Italy
Djordje
Ace
Fabrizio wrote:
BTW we are going to release a ceiling add-on: ArchiPanel.
Why am I not surprised? 😉 WAIT- ArchiStair first!!!!
Fabrizio wrote:
Could you be so kind to send me some examples illustrating what you mean? This should be the right time to implement new features or to modifying the existing ones...
No problem, will do ...
Djordje

HP Omen
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Crap... Where was this forum when I started my project!...

I have the concept and 50% of GDL parts for CEILING TOOL... I cannot program API (and can't afford to learn right now)...

I have talked to USG who are willing to provide some help, but have already created something for AUTOCAD....

If anyone wishes to pursue this further, please contact me or post here...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop