BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Animating Objects - Specifically Doors

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm in the process of creating a fly through. As it stands now i am going through several doors. Is there a way for the doors to open as the fly through approaches or have them opened the whole time?

Thanks.
oha
8 REPLIES 8
Dwight
Newcomer
Standard library objects do not do this, but certain aftermarket objects can be animated.

If you have any facility with GDL, it is easy enough to relates the door opening angle to a specific frame in the animation.

Some door objects allow for a fixed open angle.

However, and i wouldn't want to teach my grandma how to prepare eggs, but your animation will have a better effect if you use a crossfade transition as you approach a closed door - this speeds the animation and removes non-essentials from the presentation. You do need editing software to achieve this effect.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Standard library objects do not do this, but certain aftermarket objects can be animated.
Door and Window Builder doors, for example.
Dwight
Newcomer
Yes! I found it. But it remains a cheezy effect.
found it.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Here is a thread in which I wrote down how to do it in you existing objects if you are familiar with GDL:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=2751
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Dwight
Newcomer
Does this code remove the cheese from the opening effect?
Dwight Atkinson
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Dwight wrote:
Does this code remove the cheese from the opening effect?
I don't get the question.
I hope it is a joke and it is only my insufficient English that prevents from getting it.
Dwight
Newcomer
I think the opening door effect is cheezy

But, I am a bore when it comes to complaining about how bad animation/flythrus/whatever are at telling the story of a building and that users would be better off focusing on a few full-screen crossfaded still images of high quality, cleverly placed captions and some judicious Ken Burns effect in their multi-media presentations.
Dwight Atkinson
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Dwight wrote:
I think the opening door effect is cheezy

But, I am a bore when it comes to complaining about how bad animation/flythrus/whatever are at telling the story of a building and that users would be better off focusing on a few full-screen crossfaded still images of high quality, cleverly placed captions and some judicious Ken Burns effect in their multi-media presentations.
OK, I got it. So in that case, the answer to your previous question is: it does not remove the cheese, it puts it there.
Learn and get certified!