BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Comments please

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is a rendering that I have finished in Photoshop. I'm very happy with it but I'm after comments on how I can improve it,

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18
Dwight
Newcomer
For what it is, this is pretty good. White walls and grey roofing challenge the artist.

You've made the color and exposure values quite appropriate and have eliminated the sense of blackness so prevalent on intensely lit scenes like this. It feels like an afternoon in a parched country… but with good lawn irrigation!

Without sounding neurotic, I worry that the foreground tree branch is falling on the building - this needs to be more stable in the composition.

Lastly, compositionally: and this is a personal bias. There is no way for viewers to project themselves into the scene. You've made a barrier to the eye accessing the entrance and seeing a way into the building. We must hop the shrubbery. I feel like a burglar casing a joint. Hope they have their new Mac Pro with the 16GB of 800 mhz DDR RAM bolted down because i plan to nick it. Which window should we put the boots to while standing on the porch?

I personally object to more-or-less equal angle vanishing points - like you have done, because they are ambiguous. I'd like to see you bias the composition by moving the camera location toward the left. This will emphasize the entry and still communicate all of the other design elements.

You work in Archicad 9? If not, replace your sun object with the internal Realistic sun for soft shadows.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the comments Dwight, really helpfull. Couldn't have done any of this without your book.
I know the grass looks real but its actually fake. Tee hee hee. There is an old shed out the back which is used as an office and thats where they keep all the Mac Pros with 16GB of 800 mhz DDR RAM, no lock either, fancy that.
Dwight
Newcomer
I have read between the lines to divine that you are a PC guy.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well divined. Don't have a clue about Macs. Have heard so many good things about them and would like to try one but the support is very limited where I come from.
I have a quad core 2.4 mhz, 3gig RAM, 160 gig HD, dual monitor. For the rendering in the above picture it took aboiut 3.5 hrs. I set the size by cm (it was 40x19 cm) and used 300dpi.
Dwight
Newcomer
You consider the Capitol District the Outback then?

That seems like a long time for 2200x4800 pixels.
What render quality settings?
Refractive glass?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Method - best
Antiliasing - best
Shadows - by lamp
Effects - reflection and smooth surface
Light source - ambient (100%) and lamps
Dwight
Newcomer
Try this and see if it is a faster rendering:

Method: final
Antialiasing: One step down from "Best" AKA
"good enough for the girls we go with."

Light Source:

Eliminate Sun Object casting main shadow
Enable Sun:

Sun Class Sun Shader. default settings
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
A couple of problems - as soon as I drop down the method and antiliasing I get a LOT of noise in the rendering to the point where it is unusable.
I have enabled sun and turned off the sun object, can't find these settings - Sun Class Sun Shader. default settings
Dwight
Newcomer
What has happened is the noise is from inadequate ray tracing, either through a sky object set to realistic or a built-in sun set to realistic.

See the attached for your sun setting. Excuse the Mac interface.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!