BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Default auto drawing update setting?

gotphish001
Enthusiast
I've just spent way too much of my day trying to find this. How do you change if a drawing being placed on a layout is set to auto update or manual update by default? I know it's a thing because I have one project that they go onto a sheet as auto and another they always go in as manual. Yes I know you can change it after the fact, but I don't want to need to remember something else. I'm trying to get it set up in my template. I can't find any logic to it. I can place a drawing and it goes in as manual. I manually change that to auto and then the next drawing goes in as auto. It's fixed! Wrong the next drawing goes in after those as manual. What the heck! The help keeps saying go to drawing settings, but I can't find a way to get in those on a "default" level, only on a per drawing basis.
Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey
Autodesk Expert Elite
Archicad 26 Solo USA
https://farkasassociates.com/
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly
It is the default setting in the 'Drawing' tool.
Just like any other tool, it will remember the default settings.

If you draw a red line, select it and change it to blue, then draw a new line it will be red - not blue, as the tool default is still red.
You only changed the setting for a line instance - not the default for the tool.

So, either set the default in the tool before you draw the line (or place the drawing) or ALT+click on the line (or drawing) to set the default properties of the tool to the same as those for the placed instance.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Solution
Barry Kelly
It is the default setting in the 'Drawing' tool.
Just like any other tool, it will remember the default settings.

If you draw a red line, select it and change it to blue, then draw a new line it will be red - not blue, as the tool default is still red.
You only changed the setting for a line instance - not the default for the tool.

So, either set the default in the tool before you draw the line (or place the drawing) or ALT+click on the line (or drawing) to set the default properties of the tool to the same as those for the placed instance.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
gotphish001
Enthusiast
I get that is how it works for tools, but there's no tool for placing a view on a layout. I'm just dragging and dropping them on to the sheet. I tried cntrl T before I let go of the drop but it doesn't let you in to the settings.

If you just use the "place on layout" right click I can't get into the settings before hand either.
Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey
Autodesk Expert Elite
Archicad 26 Solo USA
gotphish001
Enthusiast
Ok reread your response a third time to make sure I wasn't missing anything. So I dragged in a view then changed that view to auto from manual. Eye droppered that view and then placed another view and it was auto update this time. So since you can't get into it before hand you need to go the eye dropper route as the only way to set the default status. Got it. Thanks!
Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey
Autodesk Expert Elite
Archicad 26 Solo USA
Barry Kelly
gotphish001 wrote:
I get that is how it works for tools, but there's no tool for placing a view on a layout.

Yes there is.
It is the ‘drawing’ tool in the tool bar.
I can’t show you an image at the moment but you will find it near the ‘figure’ tool and the ‘detail’ and ‘worksheet’ tools.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
gotphish001
Enthusiast
Learned something else new! good stuff. I never noticed that tool.
Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey
Autodesk Expert Elite
Archicad 26 Solo USA
Learn and get certified!