BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Design Contest

Robert Fuchs
Booster
Here are some Images of designs we did for a competition for a local company. Unfortunately we did not get the job but sill came out with some nice designs and images IMHO. What do you guys think? I tell you, I bet some of the designs would have been a lot easier to draw in AC11 than in 10.

Robert F.
Robert Fuchs
Miller Bosksus Lack Architects, P.A.
2x2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/10 GB RAM
Mac OSX 10.6.4, AC 14 (3004 USA Full)
28 REPLIES 28
Robert Fuchs
Booster
Here is another group of images.

Robert F.
Robert Fuchs
Anonymous
Not applicable
Pretty cool
Just made the jump to 11 from 9 recently.....so it might be awhile till we go full time 11. Question for you, are those trees directly from ArchiCAD's library? Or are they from another source?
Thomas Holm
Booster
I like your design, and the images have high quality, but I don't like their lighting. And in the top-lefts, the cars dominate too much. Is it them you're selling?

If the main subject is shadowed, it looks dull compared to the well-lit, bright surroundings who get the emphasis wrongly. And I think you have this problem in most of these renderings. It really doesn't do your project justice. I think it's better to tweak the lighting and perhaps lie a little about the real sun position if necessary to present it at it's best. Use light to model and enhance, not dampen and restrain.

Buy Dwight's book! It taught me a lot about how to light architectural objects. And that applies to whatever rendering system you use, not just Lightworks.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Robert Fuchs
Booster
junior wrote:
Pretty cool
Just made the jump to 11 from 9 recently.....so it might be awhile till we go full time 11. Question for you, are those trees directly from ArchiCAD's library? Or are they from another source?

The trees are Artlantis objects that I got from the ArchiRADAR website.
Robert Fuchs
Robert Fuchs
Booster
Thomas wrote:
I like your design, and the images have high quality, but I don't like their lighting. If the main subject is shadowed, it looks dull compared to the well-lit, bright surroundings who get the emphasis wrongly. And I think you have this problem in most of these renderings. It really doesn't do your project justice. I think it's better to tweak the lighting and perhaps lie a little about the real sun position if necessary to present it at it's best. Use light to model and enhance, not dampen and restrain.

Buy Dwight's book! It taught me a lot about how to light architectural objects. And that applies to whatever rendering sytem you use, not just Lightworks.

I will take a look at updating some renderings with the lighting changes. I can't remember why but the designer in charge wanted a mid day light.
Thanks for the comment Thomas and I might take a look at getting Dwight's book. I hear a lot of good things about it.

Robert F.
Robert Fuchs
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice images and nice designs too Robert!

It does strike me that the cars look a bit plasticy for some reason. I also suspect, if they are actually 3ds models, that they must have taken ages to render. Would it be better to composite some 2d photos of cars in photoshop on top of the image perhaps?

Also a technical question... What technique did you use to produce the red panels cladding, with the correct recessed joints? They look particularly good on your images. I've tried doing it several ways myself, none of which looked convincing.

Thanks for showing the images. Its a shame more people aren't brave enough to post images of their projects. (Myself included! ) I think they are always useful in both an inspirational way and as catalyst for discussing different techniques no matter how good or bad they are.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Personally I don't mind the views with the cars in front - it wouldn't be the feature view in the presentation, but it gives a good realistic feeling to the model.

Also I'd like to know how you created your negative details - i've tried a heap of different ways but have yet to discover a perfect way.
Thomas wrote:
Buy Dwight's book! It taught me a lot about how to light architectural objects. And that applies to whatever rendering system you use, not just Lightworks.
I agree - a good chunk of it relates to general architectural rendering, using whatever application you want to use.
Peter wrote:
Thanks for showing the images. Its a shame more people aren't brave enough to post images of their projects. (Myself included! Embarassed ) I think they are always useful in both an inspirational way and as catalyst for discussing different techniques no matter how good or bad they are.
Also I agree - but like Peter, I too am not brave enough
Robert Fuchs
Booster
Peter wrote:
Nice images and nice designs too Robert!

It does strike me that the cars look a bit plasticy for some reason. I also suspect, if they are actually 3ds models, that they must have taken ages to render. Would it be better to composite some 2d photos of cars in photoshop on top of the image perhaps?

Also a technical question... What technique did you use to produce the red panels cladding, with the correct recessed joints? They look particularly good on your images. I've tried doing it several ways myself, none of which looked convincing.

Thanks for showing the images. Its a shame more people aren't brave enough to post images of their projects. (Myself included! ) I think they are always useful in both an inspirational way and as catalyst for discussing different techniques no matter how good or bad they are.
Peter, the cars are from the transportation library that graphisoft gave out one time. I like to use them as fillers even though they are not a high ploy object. I have high poly objects in Artlantis but time was an issue from the project. Generally I will put a high poly car in the foreground but those do add to the rendering time. The transportation library cars don't add hardly any extra time to the renderings. The longest rendering time I had was right at 30 minutes. That's on a Dual 2.0 G5 with 2 gigs or RAM. If I add a lot of Artlantis plants for landscaping them the time starts going above 30 minutes but most renderings take 15 minutes.

As far as the red panels. They are walls that I used Solid operations on for the reveals. I just put some slabs 3/4" wide and deep at the reveal locations , S/O them out and there you have it. Very easy and quick.

Robert F.
Robert Fuchs
Rakela Raul
Participant
very nice rendering, thanks for sharing...
only one comment, and just a personal thing: the background a little too flat for me.
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Learn and get certified!