Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

How can we Specify Door Handle only?

kryha_skresla
Contributor

The Handles are Unique, and we need to specify them separately out of the Door. How can we get only Handles in our Schedule?
Знімок екрана 2022-12-08 о 12.53.34.png

8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly

You can't schedule the handles directly unless they are separate objects.

Then you would just set up a schedule looking for those objects.

But as they are a part of the door, you will still have to use a door schedule that looks for the doors.

If you don't want to list the handles in the door schedule, you can duplicate the schedule and rename it appropriately (door handle schedule).

Then in the schedule scheme settings for the fields, you will delete all the fields for the door info that you don't want, and add fields that get the parameters for the handles (you can add library part parameter as fields - the little black arrow next to the Add Fields button).

You won't be able to get an image of just the handle though, unless they are placed as separate objects and not as part of the doors.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
kryha_skresla
Contributor

Thank you for the Answer, yes, I know this way. 

I hope GS will look at this task and change something in the following versions. 

The second question on this site is — How to create Uniques Handles on each side of the Door? For example, if I need an Individual Handle on the Entrance door — a long cylinder ouside and a simple handle inside — I need to create these Objects and put them separately from the Parametric Door. And if changes come, and we all know — they will come 🙂 And this Door will be mirrored or moved, and a user who makes it (for example, in Teamwork) will not know about the separated handle — it will be a collision. 

So, I propose to make these changes in Standard Doors in Archicad parametrical:
- separated kind of Handles of each leaf side
- scheduling the Handles separated from the parametrical Doors

The quick answer to your question would be to create a custom GDL door with specific parameters.

Cheers.

Versions 13 to 25
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core
RAM:32GB
GPU: RTX 2080Ti
Windows 11

Thank you for this solution. 
Maybe you have a simple step-by-step manual on adding unique Handles on each side of the Door with GDL without deep coding knowledge?

However, if we get the unique Door, how can we get the Schedule of these Handles separately?

@kryha_skresla wrote:

However, if we get the unique Door, how can we get the Schedule of these Handles separately?

The same way as I mentioned in my previous reply.

If your handles are a part of the door object, you have to schedule the door parameters.

Only if you place the handles separately, can you schedule just the handle objects themselves.

If the standard door objects don't allow for different handles on each side, then unless you are conversant with GDL, I would not try to create or amend the door objects.

Just place the handles separately.

Unfortunately you can not group the handles to the doors so they move together.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

For better or worse, you would need to deep dive into the GDL world. In that sense, you could manipulate what you create, and the information it could represent. I would definitely adopt @Barry Kelly s advice in this instance. If this is something that would follow you through your design process all the time, maybe you should invest time into learning GDL, or hire someone to code for you.

Cheers

Versions 13 to 25
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core
RAM:32GB
GPU: RTX 2080Ti
Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

I assume you want to schedule the 2D front view or 3D model of only the handle? Because it is easy enough to schedule which handle a door has by adding gs_handle_type parameter from the door object to your schedule. This field is text only though.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Jim Allen
Expert

There is potentially an easier solution to your problem. You can use the concept of 'ironmongery packs'.

Each door type will have its own specific ironmongery. For example toilet doors, corridor doors, store doors etc.

There is a limited number of these, and you can index them with a parameter on the door object which can be scheduled.

You can create a drawing with these separately, or even keep them out of the drawing package completely.

Specifying ironmongery can be really tedious, I did it for a hospital with over a thousand doors, and you don't want to have to update your model every time you change your hinge type do you?

If you employ the principle of ironmongery packs, you can capture whatever information you need in your drawing, and leave the very fine granular detail to schedules.

My office has been working this way for well over a decade.

Of course if you are working on the principle that you need everything scheduled in the model for FM, this might not work for you.

Archicad 27 UKI | OS X 12.7.1 Monterey