Document & Visualize forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PMK questions

Mats_Knutsson
Expert
Hi,

I'm investigating the pmk approach to a large project.
However when I drag the project from view map to publisher, I can't choose pmk as output format. I can select some views/folders individually but that will end up in having loads of pmk-files. I wonder if the pmk file is supposed to host all views (drawings) or should I have one pmk for every drawing? We have 282 layouts in the project and thus more views...which is quite cumbersome.

I remember having a white paper on large projects with ArchiCAD but I can't seem to find it on my computer nor the Internet.

Firstly I'll try splitting the project in a model file and a layout file. It worked better on my local machine but I'll need to try it with TW.

Second I'll try the pmk way.

Any help very appreciated

Best regards,
Mats
AC 24 SWE Full
HPZbook 32GB i7 7820HQ 2,9 GHz
Quadro M2200 2GB
10 REPLIES 10

NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Mats,

Here is our online help document about the process: http://www.graphisoft.com/ftp/publishing/ac15_help_INT/Files/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=...

In the method you describe PMKs are saved for each drawing. This workflow does add an extra step though but can have some advantages as the document states. But this PMK method is more of a workflow control than a major speed optimization. You may be better off with two project files, one for the model and one for the layout book.

HTH
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center

Mats_Knutsson
Expert
NCornia wrote:
Mats,

Here is our online help document about the process: http://www.graphisoft.com/ftp/publishing/ac15_help_INT/Files/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=...

In the method you describe PMKs are saved for each drawing. This workflow does add an extra step though but can have some advantages as the document states. But this PMK method is more of a workflow control than a major speed optimization. You may be better off with two project files, one for the model and one for the layout book.

HTH
Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for the info! The online help is an online version of the reference manual. I remember some kind of white paper on large projects. It was a pdf...some years ago...maybe I''m wrong. Thought I had it on hard drive somewhere but no.

Regarding the project I think I will separate the project into model file and layout file. There are many layouts that we can suspect will be needed later and thus in need of occasional updates from the model...so it's ok if it takes some time. All new layouts will be in the project.

The pmk method won't work because we have so many layouts (it will take too long to create the layouts).

Regards,
Mats
AC 24 SWE Full
HPZbook 32GB i7 7820HQ 2,9 GHz
Quadro M2200 2GB

Erika Epstein
Contributor
Do a google search for Big Buildings white paper+ Graphisoft and you'll find a link for a direct download. As Djordje reminded someone keep in mind that it was written [several] years ago for a different version.

You might also do a search here for pmk use. Duane Valencia, among others has a number of excellent posts on the topic.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"

Mats_Knutsson
Expert
Erika wrote:
Do a google search for Big Buildings white paper+ Graphisoft and you'll find a link for a direct download. As Djordje reminded someone keep in mind that it was written [several] years ago for a different version.

You might also do a search here for pmk use. Duane Valencia, among others has a number of excellent posts on the topic.

Thx!
I did some studing of the white paper and on the forum. We've slimmed down the project a little (moved out layouts to a separate .pln) and upped the RAM to max. However I start to think we should buy a few serious gaming computers for the really large projects. A laptop workstation (we're on Lenovo w520 with 16GB RAM and 2GB Nvidia Quadro 1000M) just don't have a good enough graphics card unless you go for some monster priced gear.
Mats
AC 24 SWE Full
HPZbook 32GB i7 7820HQ 2,9 GHz
Quadro M2200 2GB

ares997
Newcomer
Do you have to manually mange the markers? Is there a way to automatically connect markers from the layout book file to the model file or vice versa?

I am struggling with the idea of have to link 100 hundreds of saved views and then going through and checking the location of the source markers.

There must be a better way to break apart of complex large file in midway through construction documents and retain it's parametric aspects (with regards to markers and what not).
Archicad 23 (3003), Windows 10, AMD RYZEN 7 3900 (64 GB RAM)

Mats_Knutsson
Expert
ares997 wrote:
Do you have to manually mange the markers? Is there a way to automatically connect markers from the layout book file to the model file or vice versa?

I am struggling with the idea of have to link 100 hundreds of saved views and then going through and checking the location of the source markers.

There must be a better way to break apart of complex large file in midway through construction documents and retain it's parametric aspects (with regards to markers and what not).
It was a while so I hardly remember but I think I copied the whole project to a "layout"-pln which I pointed to the original file and deleted everything I didn't need. It worked in the end and no need for manual relinking of saved views.
AC 24 SWE Full
HPZbook 32GB i7 7820HQ 2,9 GHz
Quadro M2200 2GB

Mats_Knutsson
Expert
ares997 wrote:
Do you have to manually mange the markers? Is there a way to automatically connect markers from the layout book file to the model file or vice versa?

I am struggling with the idea of have to link 100 hundreds of saved views and then going through and checking the location of the source markers.

There must be a better way to break apart of complex large file in midway through construction documents and retain it's parametric aspects (with regards to markers and what not).
It was a while so I hardly remember but I think I copied the whole project to a "layout"-pln which I pointed to the original file and deleted everything I didn't need. It worked in the end and no need for manual relinking of saved views.
AC 24 SWE Full
HPZbook 32GB i7 7820HQ 2,9 GHz
Quadro M2200 2GB

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

we are about to start a large residential apartment project, comprising of 100 units in 2 towers, over 2 basement levels.

I have the Big Building White Paper, but it is now several years old. Is this still relevant?

Is there something more recent, or can anyone share their experience or any tips on good project file management for Big Buildings.

My idea is the module as much as possible, into a master file (possibly 2) an then export via PMK to a Layout file, all to be Teamworked.

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

can we use this separate layout file workflow and keep live info in section/elevation markers on floor plans?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
ok, so when you bring the floor plan with section markers, and the section into the layout file, the section markers display the correct information.

Start a new conversation!

Labels

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!