Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Rendering Software

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need to learn a software that can produce high quality renderings for presentation purposes. Unfortunately I am very limited on time I can dedicate to learning the software. I would prefer a BIM program like Archicad because I do have to produce construction documents as well. Is the *basic Archicad program* without special add on software capable of producing the same quality of renderings as say highly supported training environment program like Sketch Up.
8 REPLIES 8
Karl Ottenstein
Lightworks within ArchiCAD can produce reasonable renderings. Once you get your trial working (your XP thread), see if it is good enough and easy enough for you. Artlantis, a separate program from Abvent, is perhaps the easiest to learn and use and achieve very good results. It, too, has a free trial.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Without a doubt go for Maxwell Render, superior quality with ease of use and a fast learning curve. The downside is that it is not as fast as the other ones mentioned...
The main reason I use is because it is totally integrated in AC via plugin. You do not use a separated software, so every effort you apply with materials will be there for the next phase. A real integrated workflow for rendering!
You can check some of my work (signature), all in ArchiCAD via Maxwell Render plugin...

Cheers!
Karl Ottenstein
Just to clarify... Everything done in Artlantis is there for subsequent editing and model changes, too. 😉

Artlantis provides a real-time preview as you adjust materials and lighting and provides extremely faster renders. It supports (extra cost) final rendering with Maxwell at the click of a button (or part of a batch) for when one can accept the very long rendering times required by Maxwell. But, it does not support everything that a separate maxwell license provides. So, one has to demo and learn the trade-offs for your personal workflow and needs in making a product decision.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
dont forget the Octane Render plugin for archiCAD, if you have an appropriate Nvidia graphics card, it produces blazingly fast renders equally as stunning as those from Maxwell without taxing your processor
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl, by integrated software I mean you will have all your work, even in render phases, there for you. In Artlantis the objects you use will stay there... but you may need them later in AC for let's say a furniture/equipment occupation drawing... Just an example I do not like switching from software to software. Archicad is an amazing authoring tool... I try to stay there as much as I can
I do like Artlantis speed and responsive manner but lacks real integration with AC and real quality.
Octane is similar to Maxwell so it is a matter of individual preference... Never tried it in AC but it's GPU powerhorse seems nice. How is this plugin and workflow, sboydturner?
Cheers!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can someone comment on the workflow for creating a rendering with Maxwell Render, Thea Render, or Octane Render. I have been struggling with how to compensate for the shortcomings of Archicad as a modeling software for renderings.

I am frustrated by seeing the amazing gallery images on the rendering software websites. These renderings are created with other modeling software, such as Blender. How can we Archicad users create stunning images like those shown on those websites?

Convincing grass, flowing sheets, and soft wrinkled pillows and couches are created only from other modeling software, correct? For example, with Thea Render more convincing objects (from other modeling software) can be loaded into a model and grass clusters can be instanced into the scene prior to rendering.

Unfortunately grass can not easily be made from displacement materials due to Archicad's poorly subdivided surfaces. ( http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=208305&highlight=#208305 )

Can someone describe their workflow and/or post images for how to create renderings with convincing grass, sheets, etc from Archicad?
sbaum,

There is not necessarily any "workflow" necessary to render an ArchiCAD model with another program.

You just create the model in ArchiCAD and save the model in a compatible file format for use in the other rendering programs.

Now if you want to know how to modify the ArchiCAD model in Maxwell Studio so it will look good in a rendering, that is a question for the Maxwell Render Forum -- Join the ArchiCAD users forum there.

I think ArchiCAD can handle some Maxwell materials but there is not much point in it since you can apply the Maxwell materials better in Maxwell Studio anyway.

If your interested in a "workflow" form ArchiCAD to final publishing you may want to check this out.

http://landingpage.maxon.net/?lang=en#

You get the ArchiCAD model in to Cinema4D like this: https://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/addons/cinema_4d/cinema4d_download.html

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Eduardo Rolon
Steve wrote:

You get the ArchiCAD model in to Cinema4D like this: https://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/addons/cinema_4d/cinema4d_download.html
Or you can buy this plugin which is my preferred method to render in C4D with Vray and keep updating the model (a la Artlantis).

http://din3d.net/products/din3d-exporter-archicad
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator