BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Renovation Tool - Demolishing part of a slab

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,

The project I am currently working on requires the demolition of a few walls and a section of the slab to allow for a new extension. I assume that the correct way of drawing this would be to split the slab into two, put one onto existing and one on to demolished in the renovation status

The issue is, I am left with a line showing the separation of the two slabs on the existing floor plan. I find this a bit messy and it's not how I want the existing floor plan to show. How would you tackle this problem? Is there something I could do in the slab settings or perhaps that renovation tool settings to fix this? Or do I just need to put a white fill over the line?

Any help is appreciated.
Jake
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is the result on the existing floor plan. Notice the black line where I've split the slab
renotool2.JPG
Anonymous
Not applicable
Instead of splitting the slab, I would duplicate the slab and assign one to each filter and when you switch filters it will swap out the slabs.

But you do have to put the slab thats in the existing filter on the demolished filter and the new slab on the new construction filter.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks mbeam, that's a good idea. Seems neater than a fill
Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually, this is not ideal because when I look at the "new contruction" filter it shows the entire existing slab in yellow as if it is being demolished and also in red is if it is being reconstructed.

It would great if there was a way archicad could recognise that a slab is one element before demolition, then after the event it splits it into two slabs
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another issue with the renovation tool:

I have modeled the terrain of the site which is fairly flat, but most of the slabs cut into the existing mesh slightly. In these instances, I usually do a solid element operation to subtract the slab from the site with upward extrusion, so that the slab sits cleanly without earth sitting within or above the slab.

However, using the renovation tool, any SEO I have done for the new construction will show up on the existing and vice versa

This is the extent of the planned extension, including new paving (Please ignore the messiness of the image, very much a work in progress)
renotool4.JPG
Anonymous
Not applicable
And these are the "holes" left in the ground when I go back and look at the existing filter, caused by the SEO's.

Surely there's a way of doing this as the construction would actually happen, ie, when looking at the existing, the earth has not yet been cut away for the new slabs, then when viewing the new they have.

The only method I can think of is to have 2 site meshes, one on existing and one on new, but again this is an inefficient workaround
alemanda
Advocate
I agree. I had similar problems and I did what you did but I'm not happy .. Also the openings, new and to be demolished, in the slabs are a problem.
Hope gs might solve these issues ...
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok so it's not just me!
I'm surprised this issue hasn't already been raised and solved by GS as the renovation tool has been around for a while (I just haven't had to use it before).

It's pretty simple really, for the renovation tool to work as intended, they really need to think about the reality of the construction process. Perhaps we could have options to actually input what work is going to happen to a particular element, ie a slab is going to be cut, land is going to be excavated, etc. That way Archicad could recognise when the results of these actions need to be seen and when they shouldn't.
alemanda
Advocate
One workaround could be using a flat roof instead of a slab and use a custom-made skylight object. Practically the hole of skylight is used to have the part to be demolished ...
But this only in case the part to be demolished is inside the perimeter of the slab.
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
Learn and get certified!