cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Change Home Story of Section marker

AC 27. On a file I didn't start, but which was obviously set up by duplicating section markers on a “template toolbox” underground story, Select Section marker on the Home Story and zoom to it  takes me to that -16 story (where section markers set to show only on stories Partly in range are invisible –if they were set to show on All they would appear on a bunch of toolbox and module and out-of-range stories where they do not belong).

Now the section marker’s Home Story can't be controlled from its Settings, so the workaround is 

- to set the markers to show on their home story (here -16),

- copy them there,

- paste them on the ground floor,

- restore Partly in range, and

- recreate views,

- redirect views from drawings,

- and God forbid there is any 2D data on those sections, otherwise there is also a Find and Select, copypaste, for each.

If I am not missing something big, this is horrible and will cost quite some time and a few suicidal thoughts.

[Edit: cut-paste does change the home story, if cutting from the home story. The pasted section marker keeps the name etc., I am guessing 2D content, and probably avoids the recreate-redirect steps. But some other better workaround appeared below.]

Which makes me wonder about the purpose of having a Home Story one can't control. If I am not missing something big, please GS fix this. 

[There are two 14- and 19-year-old posts mentioning this, in Wishes and Documentation, to which I can't reply, and of course I can't post a wish either. Which makes me wonder about the purpose of]

Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 21.21.44.pngScreenshot 2024-07-24 at 21.22.57.pngScreenshot 2024-07-24 at 21.25.58.png

9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly

@Ignacio Azpiazu wrote:

Now the section marker’s Home Story can't be controlled from its settings

Are you sure you can not just browse for the storey you want to show it on?

BarryKelly_0-1721869628305.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

That control the stories the marker shows on. Not the Home Story, which is where Select Section marker on the Home Story and zoom to it  takes you to. 

@Ignacio Azpiazu wrote:

That control the stories the marker shows on. Not the Home Story, which is where Select Section marker on the Home Story and zoom to it  takes you to. 

I just changed the storey of a section marker and the Select Section marker on the Home Story and zoom to it takes me to that marker on the new storey that I just set.

It no longer shows on any other storey.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

How did you change the Home Story of an existing marker?

As shown in my previous image.

You browse for the storey you want the marker to show on and that sets the home storey.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

I just tried it and it works, by some mistake in the interface, which mixes up stuff: that setting controls the stories you want the marker to show on. Typically markers show on All, Partly in range, Entirely in Range –where they show has nothing to do with their Home Story, which is the reason the markers can show on stories which are not their home story and also, as in the case I am dealing with, not show on their home story.

Now when you set the marker to show on some specific story, it does change its home story, behind the scenes and without letting you know. So if you want the markers to keep on showing where they are showing, but change their Home Story, one needs to modify Show on Stories to the story meant to become the new Home Story, and then restore Partly in range or whatever.

One needs to change the section settings from the current home story (not a “show on” story) –set the marker to show on All, then go in this case to -16, and modify it to show on 0 from there. If one grabs the (current home story -16) marker on 0 and changes it to Show on 0 (where it already shows, being in range; but the idea is to force it to change its home story), it will disappear and show on -16 only. There is some legacy thing severely messed up. 

So thanks Barry for the workaround, and GS fix this mess. 

Section and elevation markers don't actually have a home storey as such.

They are set to show on the storey you choose, as I have shown earlier.

They can have an 'infinite' height or a 'limited' height.

If they are set to show on a single storey, that is the only storey you will see them, but they will still show information to the height range that is set - even if outside of that storey.

You can set the markers to show on all storeys or if the storey is entirely in the height range limit or partly in the height range limit.

And just to complicate it a little bit more, the 'limited' height can be set to be from the project zero height or from a particular storey as well.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Barry, home story is one thing, display story is some other thing. For markers too. Mixing the two things on a single setting in section markers (an age-old legacy issue, I assume) is creating the problems I described above. 

It seems I am not understanding your problem.

But I think I get it now.

For what ever reason, your section markers has been placed on storey -16.

It must also have a limited height and that must be set to Project Zero or some other storey?

Then the marker is set to show 'at least partly in range'.

So it shows on your ground storey (or where ever) which is fine, because that is what you want it to do.

Now you go to the section view and choose to select & show marker on home storey.

It takes you to storey -16 but there is no section marker to be seen, because it is limited height and will only display on the storey that is in that height range.

So the problem is you can not see the section marker?

Fortunately it does still select the section marker still, so you can go into the settings and then set it to show on the storey you want it to be on.

This will reset that as the home storey.

Then if you need to, you can set it back to show entirely or partly in range, as the range that it is set to display will not change.

BarryKelly_0-1721879157111.png

It the marker does not have a limited height, it can not be set to show entirely or partly in range and can only show on all storeys or a particular storey.

Fortunately, resetting the 'home' storey is as simple as picking it in the settings.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27