BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

How do you open a .lay file?

Ameen
Participant

Good day

I am trying open some files that were backed up from a very old project which were saved in .lay format. I am using archicad 15 on an i macOS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6. 

I tried installing Archicad 8.1 onto the iMac which I believe has plotmaker which may be capable of opening the .lay files, however, my I Mac sends up the message "power pc application no longer supported". I realised that even if I am able to install archicad 8, I don't have the old license keys.

Is there any way that one can now open .lay files without having to use plotmaker or one of the older applications? Is there a file converter perhaps?

4 REPLIES 4
Eduardo Rolon

They are here:

https://graphisoft.com/downloads/fileconverter

Also try using File->Interoperability->Merge to check if it imports the file.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Hi Eduardo

Thanks for such a fast response. Unfortunately, the download links on the File Converter page don't work. I've tried using the Merge function, but it also didn't work.

Eduardo Rolon

Notifying the issue for the downloads.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

The file converter versions of Archicad won’t work on modern Mac operating systems. I have to keep a copy of Parallels Desktop to run Windows which has the older file converter versions of Archicad to be able to open our old projects from Archicad 5 to 10. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)
Learn and get certified!