Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Object Pen Width In Different Views?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Friends,

I have encountered the problem when I am working on my elevations, sometimes I would like the object to show be shown in different line weight on different views. However, if I set a the Outline Pen, it will be that for all my other views. For example a porch might be the one in thick lines on North elevation but on an East or West elevation it would actually be much thinner.

How do you guys resolve this? Would appreciate some advice.

Cheers,

Andy
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
Have you tried using the 'Marked Distance Area' option in your elevation settings?
This gives you a secondary range where the pen weights are reduced if an element is located in that range.
You can't control the pen thickness though.
It is simply a thinner pen than the original.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
gpowless
Advocate
Use custom pen sets. One for floor plan with all the line weights you require there and another for elevations with the different line weights. You can add your individual pen sets to the views by modifying the view settings.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Barry Kelly
I don't think pen sets will really work for what Andy wants.
I think he is saying an element in the foreground of one elevation may be in the background of another.
It is the same element and therefore using the same pen.
Yes you could set up two pen sets and use one for each view.
But what happens if you have two elements using the same pen in the same elevation - one in the foreground and one in the background.
Pen sets will not help out unless you set each element to use different pens.
Then in a side elevation they might both be in the foreground or background so you will need another pen set for that view.
It will al start getting very messy, very quickly.

That is why the 'marked distance area' is good but it too has it's limitations (pardon the pun).
No control over exact pen weight.
Only two distance ranges (limits).
Elements like angled walls or roof slopes that transition from one range limit to the next will suddenly alter pen thickness.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
gpowless wrote:
Use custom pen sets. One for floor plan with all the line weights you require there and another for elevations with the different line weights. You can add your individual pen sets to the views by modifying the view settings.
Hi gpowless, thanks for sharing the advice, but as Barry had mentioned i think creating separate pen sets may be a bit hectic as I was hoping to show one element in foreground with a thick weight in one elevation, whilst in another it is in the background with a thin pen.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
I don't think pen sets will really work for what Andy wants.
I think he is saying an element in the foreground of one elevation may be in the background of another.
It is the same element and therefore using the same pen.
Yes you could set up two pen sets and use one for each view.
But what happens if you have two elements using the same pen in the same elevation - one in the foreground and one in the background.
Pen sets will not help out unless you set each element to use different pens.
Then in a side elevation they might both be in the foreground or background so you will need another pen set for that view.
It will al start getting very messy, very quickly.

That is why the 'marked distance area' is good but it too has it's limitations (pardon the pun).
No control over exact pen weight.
Only two distance ranges (limits).
Elements like angled walls or roof slopes that transition from one range limit to the next will suddenly alter pen thickness.

Barry.
Hi Barry,

Thanks for the help, I haven't tried marked distance area currently, but I do remember doing that for another project which I believe somewhat resolved similar issues, I will give it a try on my next project. Only reason I haven't tried it out is because I am only doing some final touch ups on this project that someone else had created, so I am avoiding changing too many settings.

Appreciate it, cheers!