Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

PM: How do I show the page breaks?

tsturm
Newcomer
I want to see the page breaks in the PM layout book.

I am using the latest version of PM. 3.1 v2. I have the Display Options set to show Page Breaks and Overlappings. All I see on the layout page is hte blue bounding box of my margins.

anyone else having this issue?
Terrence Sturm, Architect
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
23 REPLIES 23
tsturm
Newcomer
thank you both David and Matthew for adding to my question.

Lazlo.

I have a layout book which has three different Master pages. Each page has the same information on it but arranged to fit that page size. In essence, I had to print the same information on three different sizes. I suppose that I could have just scaled the pages around to get this done, but in fact some of the smaller drawings required some tweeks to the information to ge them to read better at the smaller scale.

Well my problem became when I would want to print the larger pages and my current printer settings were set to a machine which did not support that page size. If the tiling settings would show on that page telling me how the drawing would come out prior to printing then I would know before hand that I had to change my page set up.

In PM2 there was none of this Master page stuff. You opened the layout pages and you saw that the page set up was not going to fit your information and you had to change the settings. Now in PM3. You have all these Master Pages. Great. You also have places to store multiple pags of drawings without getting them to over lap when printing. Great agaiin. But what seems to be misisng is the feed back that my current page settings do not match the Master page's settings and thus a good print.

I have printed pages out only to find them squished or stretched. Even after picking the corrent printer in the Print dialog box. Where things got messed up was before any print can happen, the Page Setup dialog. Until Apple combines the Page Setup and Print dialogs this issue is going to be a problem. What I was hoping that GS could do was give some type of feed back to the user when they were looking at a layout so they would know before hand that their drawing was going to be tiled across pages, shrunk or stretched.
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
tsturm
Newcomer
Here is the picture of my settings. See how the print area is different than the expected output.
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
Anonymous
Not applicable
It looks to me that your page setup is set to Arch D which is 24x36 paper. Change this to match your layout size and all should be well.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think I finally put together what happens here.
What I see is this:
1. You have an Epson printer set to print 11x17 pages.
2. You go to the Master Layout Settings Dialog and set a Master Layout with a size of 11x17 (landscape) and with Margins all set to zero.
3. You go to the Print Setup and set it to a HP DJ800 plotter with 24x36 size paper.
4. When you click the Print Options (or PlotMaker Options) button in the Print Dialog it shows that the size of your Layout (11x17) is much smaller than the printable area of your currently selected printer (HP - 24x36), thereby there is no need to shrink. In that Dialog the Blue rectangle is the size of the Layout and the Black rectangle is tha printable size of one page in the currently selected printer.

If I understand correctly, what you would like is that when you are working on the Layout, you already see the Page Breaks of the the currently selected printer to show on the Layout.
That could be a wish.

What I would recommend is this:
1. Go to the Master Layout Settings Dialog.
2. Click on the Print/Plot Setup button and set a printer/plotter to the desired page size.
3. Click the apply button to transfer these settings to the fields above this row of buttons in the Dialog.
4. Do not set the Margins of the Master Layout to lower than the default values transferred from the printer/plotter.
5. Create multi-page Master based on this printable page size, if you wish, or keep it a one-page Master Layout.
6. Transfer the Master's Settings to the Layout of your choice.
7. When printing, make sure that the printer is set to the same page size and orientation you transferred the settings from to the Master Layout. This way, when you print and go to the Print Optinos Dialog, the Page Breaks shown there will always match the Page Breaks in the Master Layout Settings Dialog, if you set a multi-page Master there.
So basically, I think the size of the printer page the Master Layout is based on and the size of the printer when yoou print, should match.

Laszlo
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
tsturm
Newcomer
So perhaps my example was done backwards.

I challenge you to get any better results using a large page setup in the Master settings and then picking a smaller page in the Page Setup.

I will guarantee you will see the same results. No tiled pages. All you will get is the same blue border.

The system should respond the same way either way you print. Whether your orginal is smaller or larger than the paper size. There should be some feed back that you have not aligned the paper to the Master page settings and therefore will not get the desired results as the page will print on the wrong printer or will come out the wrong size.

I still like the feed back that PM 2.1 gave. The Red box to the Blue box changed depending on the page settings. What happened to change this?
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I set 4' by 3' paper coming from HP DJ600 default settings for the Master Layout.
Then in the Page Setup Dialog I set An Epson to A4 size.
In the Print Dialog, I entered the Print Options Dialog and got the attached result. The Layout fits only this many A4 pages and the black lines show page breaks.
Is this what you meant?
Laszlo
tsturm
Newcomer
Lazlo

I was hoping that the page breaks would be visible on the layout page where you place the drawings and other such things.

I know that these page breaks can be seen in the Plotmaker as Options. I would like to see some feed back before I get all the way to a Print box and another Options box to see the effect of not having the correct match of Page Size to Layout size.

You are correct that this can all be done with the current release of PM. Do you recall though what happened in PM2 when a different page was chosen than the layout? You got this grid of pages or a page which was way larger than the current layout sheet could accommodate.

I wish I had a copy of PM2 installed so that I could get a screen capture to show you better of what I mean. In fact, there was an option in the display settings to shut this On and Off. Like the one in PM3 attached below.

The thing is. Right now, if the pages are bigger or smaller than the Layout, you do not see the breaks, even if the Display Settings are set to do so.

Could this be only a MAC thing?
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
Djordje
Virtuoso
tsturm wrote:
I was hoping that the page breaks would be visible on the layout page where you place the drawings and other such things.

///

Could this be only a MAC thing?
Nope. PC too.
NoPageBreaks.jpg
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
LiHigh
Newcomer
tsturm, I believe the problem is that you have changed the paper size before uncheck "set layout size equal to usable print area". By doing that, Plotmaker automatically alters the layout size to suit the paper size. You should reverse the process!
Please refer to the image attched: if X1>X2 or Y1>Y2 (assuming you've turn on "show page break"), you will see the page break!
Hope this help.
Howard Phua

Win 10, Archicad 19 INT
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The "problem" now is that you can set paper size for each Master Layout, and you can set paper size in the Print Dialog.
Previously - since there was only one Layout - whatever change you made in Print Settings to the Paper Size was immediately visible on the Layout.
I think what tsturm (Terrence, right?) misses is that now we do not have this feedback. We see the Page Breaks set in the Master Layout Settings Dialog, but do not see the Page breaks based on the current printer set in Print Setup. This would require another set of page breaks to appear on the Layout.
This could be a wish (maybe even possible to set in Display Option whether we want it visible or not).
Laszlo