cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Wall Label That References Wall Surface

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was wondering if anyone knew where to get or how to customize a Wall Label so that i can have it displaying the Surface of that wall. These would mainly be used in elevation views where i want to document the claddings being used.

Currently i have labels with custom text which i edit and manually input the surface that it is pointing too. I have tried making a few with the some of the preloaded labels but couldn't get the desired outcome.
This image shows my desired label but with manually edited text.
46 REPLIES 46
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jay

Contact Graphisoft Aus as I'm pretty sure there is a handy little label in the Australian Essentials library that will be able to do that!
It's been a while since I've seen it but I think it's the Autonote or something like that!
David Maudlin
Rockstar
JAY wrote:
Thanks David. As i have only made the move to Archicad earlier this year I am still a bit of a noob and have no knowledge of gdl script, or ifc mapping. So I'm still at a loss as to how to achieve this. Is this something i should be asking about in the gdl section of the forum???
I think this now belongs in the GDL forum, as you will be scripting a library part.

I would start with an existing label (like the Object Indicator_NCS Label) then see if you can figure out how to substitute the desired value from my previous post for the ID value in the existing label.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
So, here is how to make a Label display the surface setting of a Wall in Elevation:

First, let me tell you what makes this possible.
The first part of the solution is the fact that in AC18 there is a new Label called Generic Label 18. This Label is capable of displaying lots of pieces of information about the element it labels, including any of the IFC Properties the given element has.

The other part of the solution is the fact that you can define your own custom IFC Properties for any of the 3D element types (like Walls, Slabs, Roofs, etc.) in the IFC Scheme Setup Dialog. For example, if you would like all Walls to have a certain custom IFC Property available to them in their Settings Dialog, you can define such a custom IFC Property in the IFC Scheme Setup Dialog for the IfcWall element of the IFC hierarchy (the IfcWall element is the IFC equivalent of ArchiCAD's Walls), and the newly defined custom IFC Property will be available for all Walls in the Wall Settings Dialog's Tags and Categories panel.

The third part is that now in AC18 it is possible to map any IFC Property (default, or custom defined by you) to contain a value composed of any combination of element parameters, object parameters and simple texts.

And the way these three parts come together in this specific case is:
1. You create a new custom IFC Property for Walls.
2. You map this new IFC property to contain the value of the desired Wall schedule parameter.
3. You set your Generic Label to display this new IFC Property.

The reason we need to use this method is because Labels cannot directly read and display the values of element schedulable parameters.

So step one:
Create a new custom IFC Property for your Walls.
0. Activate the File\File Special\IFC 2x3\IFC Scheme Setup Dialog.
On the left pane you can see the full IFC object tree structure.
1. Select the IfcWall element in the tree structure in the left pane. If is found under:
(IfcObjectDefinition)\(IfcObject)\(IfcProduct)\(IfcElement)\(IfcBuildingElement)\IfcWall
When you select IfcWall on the left, its IFC Properties will be displayed in the middle pane.
2. Click the New Property/Classification button.
3. In the appearing Dialog, select the Custom IFC Property radio button.
4. Type the desired name in the Property Set name field (e.g. WallSurfaces). This will be the Group under which the defined custom IFC Property will be placed. All those "Pset_..." items are groups under which IFC Properties are placed. So this is the name of the group.
5. In the Property name field, type the name you want to give to your custom IFC Property (e.g. Outside Surface).
Note: This text will be displayed in the Label so it is a good idea to use here the exact text you want to see later in the Label.
6. Other fields can keep their default settings. Click the OK button to leave this dialog.
When you have done it the new WallSurfaces group will be listed at the bottom and it will contain one new IFC Property called Outside Surface.
CreatingCustomIFCProperty.png
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The next step is to create the IFC mapping for this newly created IFC Property.

1. Click the Outside Surface property in the WallSurfaces group in the middle pane to select it.
2. In the right pane, in the upper list click the New Rule button. An item called Empty Rule will appear in the list.
3. At the bottom of the right pane, click the Add Parameters button.
4. In the appearing Dialog you will see all Schedulable parameters you can also see in the Scheme Setup Dialog when defining Schemes for the Schedule. Expand the Wall group, then the Wall group under it again, then select the Outside Face Surface parameter in the list.
5. Click the Add button to add the parameter to the list on the right. Alternately, you can just drag-and-drop it into the list.
6. Click the OK button to accept these changes and leave the Dialog.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Now that the mapping is done the upper right field shows that the Outside Surface IFC Property will return the value of the Outside Face Surface parameter of the Wall.
Click the OK button in the IFC Scheme Setup Dialog to accept all Changes.

Note: In a similar way you can create a custom IFC Property for the Inside Surface of the Wall as well as you might need that one too.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Now, if you go to the Wall Settings Dialog and activate its Tags and Categories panel, you will see at the bottom that it has a new IFC Property called Outside Surface and its value is now properly filled out by ArchiCAD.

The IFC Property returns the value of the surface of the outside face of the Wall. This can come from the definition of the Building Material of the outermost skin of the Wall, or can come from the Model panel override setting for the outside face of the Wall, if you activated and set an override surface for it.

Our last step is to display these value in the Label.
CustomWallIFCProperty.png
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
To display the given IFC Property in a Label:

0. Select the Wall in the Elevation and check the Label Elements checkbox in the Info Box. Then select the displayed Label (it might only be a leader line with no text in the lower left corner of the Wall) then go to the Label Settings Dialog.
1. In the Content and Preview panel, the Wall Tool item is the only one in the list. (This means the Label settings you define now will be applied only to the selected Wall Label.)
2. Above the Preview field, click the long horizontal button and select Generic Label 18 from the list of available Labels.
3. In the Custom Settings panel, make sure the Content and Display Order page is displayed. For the 2. block select Additional Tags from the list (This is the option that lets you display IFC Properties of elements in Labels).
4. Click the Set Additional Tags button to the right of the 2. block field.
To be continued in next post.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In the Additional Tags page of the Custom Settings panel, click the right-pointing arrow at the right end of the 1. Row and select Outside Surface (WallSurfaces) from the list. Then click the OK button.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The value of the IFC Property is now displayed in the Label.

Some Notes:
* In the Symbol Label panel of the Label Setting Dialog, you can uncheck the Use Symbol Arrow checkbox, in which case the Label will draw a Leader Line and arrow.
* The 1. Block of the Generic Label is usually the ID field. But you can make the Additional Tags the 1. block instead of the ID, you don't have to always display the ID. Or you can select the ** Empty Row option for the 1. Row with the same result.
* At the bottom of the Content and Display Order page of the Custom Settings panel of the Label Settings Dialog, there is a Display Data by field. Here you can set to display only the Parameter Value if that is the desired output (this is the setting I used for the attached image).
* As you probably know it is possible to set default settings for Labels by going to the Label Settings Dialog with no Label element selected. However, in this case the list in the Additional Tags page will not be populated with IFC Properties. This is why you have to select a Label already displayed for a Wall and make your settings there.
* You can transfer the settings of one placed Label to another using ALT-click, then CTRL-ALT-click.
AWESOME!

The IFC mapping is revolutionary in AC18.
arch. ernest atanasiu
AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11