Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

"Batch Printing and Plotting with Publisher

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Batch Printing and Plotting with Publisher

You can define batch print and plot jobs with the Publisher function from either ArchiCAD or PlotMaker by choosing Printing or Plotting as the Publishing method for a View Set. "

So says Archicad help.

I want to create a bunch, say 30, individual .plt files from Plotmaker using publisher. I don't want a 30 layer plt file. I don't see an option in publisher to save(publish) files in either plt or hpgl format.

I looked under the plot menu and don't see how to get what I want there either.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Nathan
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Duane Valencia taught me to use the spool folder to plot to (or print to) and immediately move the files to a job related folder - therby emptying the spool and ending up with a folder full of plots! Has been a real help in keeping track of the files in an appropriate place and remembering what I plotted. I keep the folders dated for call up later if needed.

Lew Bishop
P4 2.8/768/nvidia 5600/XP Home
AC9US
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Oldest trick in the book, although PDF's are better nowadays.

If you insist on using PLT's simply set up a publishing viewset. Set the Publishing Method to Plot, then when you clone your folder, select it and in it's Plot Settings, select 'File'. Using the 'Save...' button set the path of the folder to which you want the PLT's saved to.

Check the attachment.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nathan,

you should check with your service bureau to see about using PDFs but absent that, Link's solution will give you one file vs individual PLTs which is what I think you want.

Lew's solution will give you what you want. Just create a folder where you will send the plots; then in your Plot Setup... dialogue box set the plotter then select that folder as the Spool Folder.

When you are back in the Publisher window, with all the pages selected, click on the Plot Settings... button and select Spool folder as the Destination and click Save.

Back in the Publisher window click Publish and all your PLTs will be in the designated folder.

Woody
Anonymous
Not applicable
By the way, just looking at Lew's post again and creating dated Spool folders sounds like it might be a good way to maintain audit copies of your drawings.

woodster
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
you should check with your service bureau to see about using PDFs but absent that, Link's solution will give you one file vs individual PLTs which is what I think you want.
Woody, what issues do you foresee with the plotting bureau?

Regarding, the File method I suggested, is this a bug in 9? I am sure this was okay in AC8.1. I checked the plt file (by importing it back onto the layout) and it's only saving the first page, which is useful to just about no one, which is why it seems like a bug to me. Either that or I am getting confused with a bug/usability issue I have already reported.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:

Woody, what issues do you foresee with the plotting bureau?

Regarding, the File method I suggested, is this a bug in 9? I am sure this was okay in AC8.1. I checked the plt file (by importing it back onto the layout) and it's only saving the first page, which is useful to just about no one, which is why it seems like a bug to me. Either that or I am getting confused with a bug/usability issue I have already reported.

Hi Link,

First, (and unfortunately) if it isn't from Autocad the bureaus seem to have problems... like letting the HPGL file handle the pens instead of setting pen weights themselves. Not all of them but enough of them; especially if they are using Reprodesk at the print house.

Theoretically you are right. When you send the HPGL file to the plotter it should print each page separately and as many copies of each page as specified. I don't know why but the bureaus seem to have a problem with this as well.

Lastly, after I saw you post I went into the knowledge base looked for technical advice on this. I couldn't find a bug report on this but in my experience (maybe I'm doing something wrong) I've never gotten it to work the way Graphisoft says it should. I to get only one layer that comes in with 9.0. I agree with you, I think it's a bug.

Actually I think there's a usability issue in that ArchiCAD users have to know enough to tell the printer not to let their software overwrite the pen settings of the HPGL for example, as well as a bug.

Cheers,
Woody
Nick Schat
Participant
Nathan Brauer wrote:
I want to create a bunch, say 30, individual .plt files from Plotmaker using publisher.

This is a problem I experienced a few weeks ago.

I solved it in Publisher, follow the method that Link suggested except you have to save each file in the folder separately under plot settings. Here I add the file version letter and save. Once you have gone through all of the drawings then publish and they all come nicely into the designated folder.

Cheers,
Nick

ArchiCAD 4.1–22, Mac OS 10.14.x iMac 27" 3,2Ghz Intel-Core i5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nick wrote:
I solved it in Publisher, follow the method that Link suggested except you have to save each file in the folder separately under plot settings.
If you use the method I described above you do not have to save each file separately. You push the publish button once.

woodster
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Woody is right - go for the Spool Folder. I will send GS a usability report regarding the File method in the hopes that it is improved in the future.

Cheers,
Link.