Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

snap guides/points getting buggy lately

Patrick M
Advisor

Has anyone had issues with snap guides/points not working or showing where/how the settings are defining? I've noticed in particular when trying to snap to a centerpoint between ends/nodes/entire element, it may not show up, or may show in the wrong place. I find that turning them off and back on resets it, but I sometimes have to do that for each element I'm placing.
It's gotten to the point that its faster to place an element then move it or use the multiply command to offset to the center and delete the original. These are clunky and cumbersone work-arounds for something that should just work consistently.
is this a w/e corruption? user error? not sure?

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2
7 REPLIES 7
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

It would be helpful if you could attach one or two screenshots to illustrate what is happening exactly.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

I don't know how to get a screen shot of snap points not showing up. Basically, if I hover over a wall or beam with snap points/guides set to midpoint, I do not get a mid-point of the wall or beam. I've had people from 4 different firms ask me how to fix this, so I know it's not just me.

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Could it be a graphics card driver issue?

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Frillex
Advocate

Hi, I've had the same problems ever since upgrading to Archicad 25... 

I posted about it here: https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Installation-update/Archicad-25-SNAP-GUIDES/td-p/327684

But nobody knew what the problem could be. 
I contacted our local reseller and they tried to solve it. No result. 

I still can't use snap guides or snap points, and I'm running Archicad 26 atm with an iMac. 

If you figure this out I'll by you a beer.

AC 26, OS MONTEREY

I don't think so. I have 3 generations of macs, and work with people running from 2017Intel up to 2024M3 configurations, with several different graphics cards, and hear about snap guides not working on an almost weekly basis.
The 'turn them off and back on' solution usually gets them back on track, but I posted this because one team (every member of that project team has been experiencing this) said it is a time consuming nuisance and asked me to pass it along for a fix. 
Since it's almost impossible to force it to happen, and it happens in a whole range of projects (both t/w and pln), I'm not sure how I can get more info to GS on the issue, suffice to say many of us are annoyed by this otherwise seemingly little bug.

Frillex, are you working in pln or teamwork/bimcloud files? I have noticed it more on t/w than .pln, but that could also just be I work on more bimcloud projects than pln files.
And if you turn them off and back on, they don't start working again? that has been our solution so far. I've also had people create shortcuts for snap guides/points so they can do this more efficiently. I hate hack-job work-arounds for bugs, but thats the best I have so far.

We have the same problem regardless of if we work in a TW file or pln.

The turning them off and back on does not work for me or any of my colleagues... The standard shortcut, Q, doesn't work either. So I haven't bother with trying to make another shortcut. 

When I need guides, i use the old school guide lines.. 😞

AC 26, OS MONTEREY

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!