Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

AC Window and Door Leaf Macro Editing

KB-at-CWA
Booster

Hi all,

I cannot get the Archicad door and window pens to behave as I would like for symbolic plan view. I find the process of finding the Macros used in the standard Archicad library quite hard to decipher and cannot fathom what I should touch within the 2D script for Window and Door leafs. I do believe that what I am trying to do is quite minor, but I am a bit lost.

Is anyone out there able to show me exactly what to do.

Basically I want to add more control to the pens used for the symbolic plan view of glazed doors and windows. I need a separate pen for cut elements and elevated lines. Also as I wish to use a grey pen for the elevated elements is there a way to control the Draw Order so the elevated lines sit behind the cut lines?

Hopefully the attached image explains it clearly.

Operating system used: Mac Intel-based Monterey

Door Window Pen Controls.png

Graphisoft Certified Archicad BIM Manager - AC6 to AC25/AC26 macOS Ventura
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly

If you are looking for a GDL solution, I can move this post to the GDL forum.

But trust me, you will be in for a world of hurt.

Yes, you will have to track down the macro/s that draw the 2D symbolic leafs.

Find the lines that represent cut parts of the leaf and those that represent the non-cut parts.

Assign appropriate pens to them, you will probably have to create new parameters.

Then add those pen parameters to the parent or calling objects and add them to the CALL statements in the 2D scripts.

The parent object may call a macro that calls another macro.

You will have to track them all down and ensure the parameters get passed along.

Then repeat for every door or window object.

Then having said all that, you can never update your library again.

Because you will have to make all of these changes every time you do (new Archicad versions or library update in the current version).

So if you only have the one symbolic leaf pen now, I would learn to live with it.

As you mentioned, your other option is to use 'projected' floor plan display.

But the projected view is what is being cut in the 3D model by the Floor Plan Cutting Plane.

Not always exactly what you want to see.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I suppose then I could try and make my own Door Leaf Object, but I have to find the attributes that are called on by the door and use them in the script. Is this a good idea or am I heading down a rabbit hole with this?

Graphisoft Certified Archicad BIM Manager - AC6 to AC25/AC26 macOS Ventura

It all depends what your GDL scripting skills are like.

If you have never scripted, it might be a challenge.

I am not sure the default library door objects even have parameters to allow you to have separate cut and non-cut 2D pens?

I am assuming they don't, otherwise you would just be able to set those pens and you wouldn't be having this issue.

So you would still need to edit the existing door objects to add those parameters.

Then you are back to the issue of altering default objects that you can never update, unless you make those changes every time you do.

If you just create a door leaf macro as an object, then you would still have to alter the original door objects to be able to call that macro and add the 2D pen parameters.

So no matter what you do, it looks like you will need to alter default objects.

Better of saving as a new object with the parameters you want.

Either completely script your own door object, or 'save as. an existing door with a new name, but you will also have to do the same for all macros (save as with new name) , and adjust all of the CALLs to those macros with the new names.

This way you will have your own object that is completely independent of the default library.

Although you will not benefit from any future updates as you are now in control of this object's scripts, and it will not update unless you update it.

Personally, unless you have good GDL skills, if the existing doors do not allow you to set cut and uncut 2D pens, I would just live with that.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Setup info provided by author