Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC 9 starts very slow.

Anonymous
Not applicable
AC 9 starts very slow.... It takes over 3 minutes....
Is something wrong?

-sorry for my bad english...but I speak worse than writing...
But spellCheck is great thing.
24 REPLIES 24
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
woodster wrote:
woodster wrote:
Another way to speed up ArchiCAD's start up is to control where it looks for the hardware key. On the PC (they've changed this on the Mac and I'll have to look for it when I get to my Mac) open the WIBU-KEY in the control panel.

On the Mac, no WIBU management software gets loaded unless one downloads the WIBU Driver from the Graphisoft Support web site. But don't rush out to download it. It seems as if the Mac finds doesn't have to search for the key every time the software loads up; ArchiCAD seems to look for the Wibu software which in turn already knows where the key is. Maybe someone from GS could correct me if I'm wrong on that...

woodster

Woody,
Sounds interesting, but could you please elaborate on what you said, I'm not sure i understand what you mean about that on the MAC platform it doesn't have to look for the WIBU key every time you start ArchiCAD.

Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ben wrote:

Sounds interesting, but could you please elaborate on what you said, I'm not sure i understand what you mean about that on the MAC platform it doesn't have to look for the WIBU key every time you start ArchiCAD.

If I understand tech support correctly, on the Mac, ArchiCAD looks for a program called WkJScanMacX (lives in a "WIBUKEY" folder in Applications) which always knows where the key is and lets ArchiCAD know where it is. The reason I'm not entirely clear on how this works (and maybe we don't have to be) is that if one just installs ArchiCAD from the CD the installer does not create this folder nor does it install WkJScanMacX. One has to download the WIBU Driver from the Graphisoft web site and install it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry, meant to attach this picture of the WkjScan window

Woody
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Thanks Woody,

That wibukey change works wonders. Cut my load time in half.

Steve
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Could someone explain how to disable "virtual printer" and what do we lose by doing so?

Thanks,

Steve
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stephen wrote:
Could someone explain how to disable "virtual printer" and what do we lose by doing so?

I'm going to start this answer by offering a bit of personal opinion...

Every professional office should own Adobe Acrobat to produce and edit PDF's.

Ok... moving on from there one more opinion

I don't like the Amyuni PDF printer. So-o-o...

On a Windows machine;

1. go to Start/Printers and Faxes
2. select the Amyuni Printer and Delete it
3. choose the _temporary Archicad (something like that) printer and Delete that

Cheers,
Woody
Karl Ottenstein
Stephen wrote:
As mentioned elsewhere, this is the prime cause of slow startup and shutdown on XP machines. The hotfix 1965 adds two additional keys to the Windows registery that allow you to disable the installation and uninstall of this virtual printer, which otherwise happens every time you start and exit ArchiCAD. I'm very grateful to GS for adding this option.

After updating to 1965, you must start and exit each of AC and PM once to create the new registry keys. Then, run REGEDIT and navigate to your ArchiCAD 9 and PM 9 settings, and modify the key shown in the screenshot (Disable Temporary PDF Driver) from 0 to 1. Voila.

There was a tech note explaining the downside of this, but I can't find the link right now. I thought it was a link from the release notes.

Hi Woody: I've had a different experience. Adobe Acrobat (full product) is something that I've found I rarely need - certainly wasn't worth the expense for my practice (IMHO) - only when integrating pages from differing sources into a single PDF document. I've found the Amyuni driver, once all options are understood, to be easy to use, and to create accurate and compact files. Deleting the temporary Amyuni will only delete it until the next time you start ArchiCAD or PM unless the registry adjustments above are made. 😉

Regards,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
The hotfix 1965 adds two additional keys to the Windows registery that allow you to disable the installation and uninstall of this virtual printer, which otherwise happens every time you start and exit ArchiCAD.

Following the steps outlined in my previous post worked for me. Not only that but after doing it I went into REGEDIT to see what happened and the temporary printer had been disabled. It has NOT come back. Go figure... 😉

Karl wrote:
Hi Woody: I've had a different experience. Adobe Acrobat (full product) is something that I've found I rarely need - certainly wasn't worth the expense for my practice (IMHO) - only when integrating pages from differing sources into a single PDF document.

Like I said Karl, it's only an opinion I do use the ability to merge documents from differing sources. I also like the editing capabilities one has when using Acrobat like copying chunks of text and images from existing PDFs or being abele to add notes to them, for example. Being a long time user of Acrobat, I must admit that I never fully explored the possibility of doing this with Amyuni.

Regards,

Woody
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
I've found the Amyuni driver, once all options are understood, to be easy to use, and to create accurate and compact files.
Karl (or anyone else), have you found a way to limit what paper sizes show up in the Amyuni driver. We end up with a zillion different paper sizes and 99.9% of them we don't need. I would love to have some control over what paper sizes the driver uses. In addition I have had difficulty getting various users to have the necessary sizes (30 x 42 being the most problematic) and have had to resort to loading dummy print drivers. My understanding is that the Amyuni driver gets its paper sizes from what drivers are loaded, however this has not always worked in our office. In addition 90% of those zillion different paper sizes exist only in the Amyuni driver. Thanks for any advice in this arena.
aahatimo
Newcomer
woodster wrote:
When I get to my Mac, I'll tell Macsters how to do this unless someone else chimes in first. Cheers,
Woody
woody, i am new to the mac & can not find the wibu utility. did you or others find it?
thanks! timo
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]