Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Cad monitors v. Games monitor

KeesW
Advocate

Having ordered a new computer with an RTX graphic card I am also considering replacing my 10 year old Dell 27" monitor. with a new 32" 4K screen. Is there such a thing as a CAD monitor, or will any good 4K screen such a Dell, Samsung, LG or HP, etc., do the job? I don't use the computer for gaming.

Also, how does a curved screen work for CAD work? I find that I often loose my curser with even a 27" screen. I've changed my Archicad curser to an Autocad style extended one with long vertical and horizontal arms but this option is not always available for other MS Office programs. A curved screen may make better use of one's peripheral vision but might, annoyingly, distort what is shown on the screen.

Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
14 REPLIES 14
DJHYDRO73
Participant

Hey Kees or Booster, this is a little bit late but don't mistake buying a 4k monitor for CAD if you have not done so already. I believe the best CAD monitors today are the Ben Q 32 full HD, Particularly the PL3200 or the PD3200Q. These monitors have great aspects and height and are easy on your eyes. They are as durable as they come as I thought. I broke one when I  dropped one in my driveway and only a small bump to the bezel and back to business. I am a site improvement designer and a water resources engineer; my 2D hydro models can run for 4 hours on a Threadripper with dual RTX 3090 with GPU accelerated software; it used to be for a weekend. I don't want to know how long will it take to render that in 4K, and I don't believe you need or want 4K. Unless you are into fluid tracing dynamics or something of the sort, you want to stay away from 4K as much as you can. Your graphics card and your eyes will thank you for it. I am a gamer also, and I have monitors solely for those purposes, which are 4K. I can go on and on with the why and how, but I believe the article I left for you below sums it up. My dad is also an architect, and if you ask him, he would tell you the story of when he went shopping with his measuring scale trying to find a 24" x 36" or a 30" x 42" monitor. He just wanted to see his drawings at full paper scale before printing, which makes a lot of sense.

Take care,

DJ VAGNETTI, MsCE PE

I bought a new screen in September. It is an HP Z27K G3 27" 4K UHD IPS Studio Monitor and has amazing resolution and clarity. On PAR with a MAC I think. I considered a bigger 32" monitor but it wouldn't fit on my desk. I don't know if having or not having 4K makes a difference but went with it to maximize the potential benefit of having an RTX graphics card.

Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

Lingwisyer
Guru

Nice docking monitor. Looks a bit pricy if you are not using that functionality.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

I've always admired the graphics of Macs and their 27" screen is fantastic. I wanted the most comparable PC screen I could find and this was it (in my opinion). My wife is an editor and got an HPZ27n G2 27" 12 months ago. Similar (but not 4K) and equally excellent for text work. I was so impressed that I stuck with HP but went for the best I could get in the 27" HP range. My previous monitor (27" Dell ultra sharp) lasted 10 years - and is still going. So, spending a bit extra to, hopefully, last the next  10 years is not a bad investment. I could not afford, or wanted, to change to a Mac.

Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

Some reviews found a similar Mas Monitor

https://youtu.be/k8RkyaSHFLM?t=366

A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Learn and get certified!