Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Fills - alignment of pattern

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK - I have puzzled with this little irritation for a while - but just decided live with it , realizing that the help in ArchiCAD - is too cryptic.
See attached - What governs fill or material fill alignments?
I am still looking...... I actually work around the issue, avoiding fills sometimes - silly I spose.

Others I am sure have quickly resolved this.
I have not.

One more thing - the out of alignment fill - is a slab edge.

Fills not Phill.png
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
If these are 2D fills then you just need to turn of the fill handles in the model view options. You can then adjust these so that the fills align. If they are 3D cover fills the procedure is a bit different. I this case the fills should align with the roof reference line though this may have changed. It's been a while since I've used them so I am fuzzy on the details right now.
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK - well, sorta thanks. Well its all 2D views of the 3D model? That all might be good for plan fills - but not elevation fills on walls and slab edges? Any other suggestions? I don't think it can be done. I stand corrected - but one would think that it should logically align fills of similar type - I thought.
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Jeff:

If the vectorial fill is an attribute of the material (and so displayed automatically as part of the model, not a separate 2D fill), then you will need to use the Align 3D Texture > Set Origin command to set the origin of the fill (and texture) of the material. This is done in the 3D Window. By default, ArchiCAD uses the Project Origin as the starting point for fills and textures.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Perfect - you are spot on!! Thank you. Another one of those little used commands for me - overlooked obviously - but now, working perfectly. Many Thanks.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
David wrote:
By default, ArchiCAD uses the Project Origin as the starting point for fills and textures.
Except wall textures for a reason only Graphisoft can explain!

Cheers,
Link.
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Link wrote:
David wrote:
By default, ArchiCAD uses the Project Origin as the starting point for fills and textures.
Except wall textures for a reason only Graphisoft can explain!
Link:

It looks like it has do with the direction the wall was drawn. In the image below, the lower right wall was drawn in the opposite direction of the other 3 walls. Vectorial fills don't have this problem.

David
Wall-texture-alignment.gif
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Yes it's definitely to do with the direction of the wall and the placement of the reference line. Still, something weird going on with the origin of the vectorial hatching, which should be the same as the origin of the texture, along the reference line.

Here's an image of a wall drawn in two different directions, whose reference line runs across project origin (plus the fill definition for reference). Neither one lines up on the origin?

I guess it's a moot point?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for all the feedback you guys. Wow, thats allot of posts some of you have - makes my 19 posts to date look rather whimpy?
That's why you guys have the answers I spose.
So Thank you.

On the fills - I am seeing it like this - on this directional thing.
Either the outside is the outside - and inside the inside - so if all material fills share the same origin - then it seems logical that they should then match when projected in 2D(especially) However, in reality walls are not clad that way, and so from elevation to elevation - origin of fills need to relative the the wall or element not a hypothetical computer global origin.
I tend to use the material vector fills for elevational detail, simplicity and clarity. I don't know of a better way - and now can align these fills? (Thanks Mr D. Maudlin.)
Its working for me - so far.
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Link wrote:
Here's an image of a wall drawn in two different directions, whose reference line runs across project origin (plus the fill definition for reference). Neither one lines up on the origin?
Link:

I cannot reproduce this bug, just the one with textures.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture