Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

slow sections and 3d process....urgent

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I'm a newbie (hug me!) to the AC universe

but right after a mate of mine installed me the AC10 in my Mac, and thaught me the ropes with a project of his own( previously made), we noticed that when we tried to make a section ( I am portuguese so i don't know how this term is said exactly, but it is a vertical slice, a facade....) or a 3d view of the plants a window would pop up saying that it would take 25mins... the first try and then 18 mins... the second... I would like some help in dealing with this issue!

here are the specs wich can elucidate you:
PowerBook G4 15" - 1.67Ghz ; 1GB RAM; 80GB Hard-Drive - 50Gig already full:ATI 9700 128mb dedicated: did i mention i got norton for mac?

waiting for advice
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
TomWaltz
Participant
Plants are notorious for slowing a machine.... since you are on a G4, you're going to be running a bit slower to begin with.... I'm afraid you might have the options of either (A) using simpler 3D plants or (B) buying faster hardware.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bit of a time leap but a similar problem.

I am working on a simple apartment block, U shape plan layout, so the courtyard elevations are also the sections to the accommodation wings.
Just 3/4 stories plus u/g car park.

The plans fly in, no prob. 3D is great with Open GL but the Elevs and Sections just kill it. So bad in fact that I am now investigating Revit and Spirit as A10 is commercially unusable.

Make one change on a Sec/Elev drawing and it regenerates (although set for manual, not auto). It takes from 8 mins to 45mins, using 100% of the PC resources to complete and hand control back to the user.

This is patently absurd.

For some reason, the brick and tile hatching turned purple, not it would seem in a palette but an odd-ball mix of elements, some but not all. Picking each one and correcting it has taken literally DAYS.

I don't think it is the kit. Dell 8300 P4 3meg with 2gig ram, gf 6600 graphics, with 256 vram, 1920x1200 2407wfp display, many a gig of h/d space on fast SATA2 drive.

Real question is why? And why on Elev/Sec dwgs when just about everything else using the same data set flys?

Any ideas or suggestions before I jump ship?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Granville wrote:
Any ideas or suggestions before I jump ship?
Hold your breath!

You think you've got problems now....

Of course those times are absurd. You need to narrow down the problem some more. If your elevations are indeed manual rebuild, you should uncheck some of the options and look for a difference. A good place to start would be the uncut surfaces, shadows, hatching, etc. If its auto rebuild turn off the continuous update in the project prefs.

If that still doesn't work, then you can cry wolf

Hunter.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The drawings have vectoral hatching on, shadows off and are showing sectional textures.
This is because I require this level of detail for the specific quality of output.
I have only the necessary layers selected and all internal fixtures and fittings are excluded.
There are three sec/el drawings and four pure elevs but the performance levels are fairly consistent between both types. Clearly the sections are doing a lot more cut polygons but even the simplest elevation is taking several minutes to regen after changing one parameter (like the hatching colour from purple back to grey).
It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
TomWaltz
Participant
It doesn't explain the severity of the problem, but manual sections/elevations take a lot longer to rebuild than Auto ones do. Archicad can do partial rebuilds on auto, but not on manual.

What are your machine specs like and how big is the building? How far does your view range extend?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
What are your machine specs like and how big is the building? How far does your view range extend?

Most of this is covered in the post of Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:10 am.

It is not a big project by commercial standards, although large for my one-man-band practice.

Something is clearly wrong. Main question is whether there is a simple setting change, like Open GL/Internal which would break the log-jam or if it is just an exponential effect, that once A10 reaches a certain volume of data that it starts using virtual memory and the transfers are what is taking the time.

I really don't want to go back to old Autocad outline elevations again, by killing off the element count, just so A10 works effectively.

In 30 seconds, I could put up a multi storey marquee along one of the section lines, hit F5 and take a screen dump, an paste it into an output sheet. Try to do the same thing as a proper drawing and it can take 30 minutes just to generate the view. Then you have the same delay when updating the output file.

Crazy.
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Granville,

Please do send your file to your local tech support. There must be a reason for the unusual section generation times, and they will help you find out, or they will send the file to GS HQ for a check.
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Anonymous
Not applicable
"gkmethy" wrote:
Granville,

Please do send your file to your local tech support. There must be a reason for the unusual section generation times, and they will help you find out, or they will send the file to GS HQ for a check.

Still awaiting an email or ftp destination for a 26meg pla zip file from Applecore.

I have been experimenting with older but smaller projects.
Elevs run as lines only are pretty quick.
They slow down noticeably with vector hatching and more so with Original Material set.
Simple 45 degree shading doesn't seem to make a tremendous difference but adds a little to the processing time.

However, they are nothing like the complexity of the one which is stalling.
Is there a point at which the system baulks?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, enough is enough.

I have waited a month for "support" to do with this question and received no help or suggestions, let alone a solution.

Luckily, there is a hiatus in the program, whilst my Client resolves some legal matters. It will shortly be going live again, and frankly, there is no way I can use this Archicad system to provide a service.

GKMethy, you requested I contact my supplier, which has been to no avail.
So can you contact me directly please, so I can arrange for Head Office or whoever, to download the Archive File and see if they can determine what is wrong and how to fix it?