Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License outage
Dear Customers, We are facing with an outage in our services in Azure. You may experience issues with the Azure-based functions, like licensing, BIMcloud SaaS, Learn Portal. We are working hard on this issue to make it fixed as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Custom Component Type

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, everyone!
I am trying to create a wall gdl object comprised of different layers (gypsum board and insulation) and metal profiles. I want this wall to act as a curtain wall, having in mind the possibility to label all the components within this wall. I tried to achieve this following the steps described in the chapter "How to use Custom Components in your library?" of the Tips&Tricks page of Graphisoft GDL Center :
http://gdl.graphisoft.com/tips-and-tricks/how-to-use-custom-components-cs-in-your-library
I also explored the example given in this chapter. The problem is that when I try to save some custom component drawn in the plan using the command File/Libraries and objects/Save selection as... the newly created component type doesn't appear on the menu list, while in the given example it appears (it is Table leg in the example). I have my Custom component collection and my Custom component template in the Subtype Hierarchy list, but I dont't have the Custom type component for the command Save selection as.
Does anyone have an idea what might be the problem? If the subtype of the host object is important, I tried several like Wall and just Model element subtype, but no difference happens. Or is it something related to the Work environment?
As a whole is my approach right? Will it be possible to label the separate components of the wall this way or is there another possibility?
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you want a composite wall structure as a Curtain Wall Panel, then you should use the "CW Composite Panel 22" GDL Object for your panels in your Curtain Wall. Then you will be able to define the skins of the composite panel. See attached image.

I think you will not be able to Label the individual skins of the composite panel, because that would require the ability of a Label to display a parameter within a GDL Object and ARCHICAD does not have that capability.
The only place where you can display a parameter within a GDL Object is the Interactive Schedule.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the answer, LaszloNagy! But it is not a solution for me, as I want to create actually a completely new stud wall, not a panel for a curtain wall. I will create it using GDL, but I was trying to find a way to make it possible to label afterwards all the parts of this wall (such as metal profiles, insulation, plasterboard), which I will call within the main object as macros. And labeling the separate parts is possible in curtain walls by pressing the TAB key (see the picture, the labels show the IDs of the elements).
I followed again the steps described in the chapter "How to use Custom Components in your library?" of the Tips&Tricks page of Graphisoft GDL Center, this time taking a closer look to all the details, and I managed to make the Custom component type appear on the list for "Save selection as..." command. But unfortunatelly, even so, it is not possible to label all the parts of the wall afterwards.
So, if anybody has some more suggestions and ideas, I will be glad to hear them
Barry Kelly
Creating your own wall object will create only one object.
Yes, you may be CALLing individual components, but the end result is one object, so I don't think you will have much luck labelling the individual components.

The curtain wall, (also stair and railing) tools are different.
They are made up of individual components and the relation between these components is controlled by the tool itself.
It is not a curtain wall object that CALLs individual elements.
It is effectively a built-in add-on that combines the individual elements into what we see as one element, while still remaining separate for labelling and scheduling.

At least that is my understanding of the situation.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, Barry! Knowing that it is not possible is already a solution, although not the desired one Just to ask finally: this built-in add-on is not accessible from GDL, right? But can a developer access it and thus achieve the goal somehow together?
Barry Kelly
Deni wrote:
Thanks, Barry! Knowing that it is not possible is already a solution, although not the desired one Just to ask finally: this built-in add-on is not accessible from GDL, right? But can a developer access it and thus achieve the goal somehow together?
It is not really an add-on, I just called it a 'built in add-on' as a comparison.
The curtain wall, stair and railing are all tools, hard coded into the software.
I don't think an existing tool can be accessed and manipulated - even by a developer.
Possibly a new tool could be created as an add-on but I can't say for sure as I am not a developer.

The individual GDL components that make up the curtain walls, stairs and railings can certainly be created and/or edited as they are just GDL objects.
But they are all controlled from the master tool.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11