cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Detail Library

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok I am still new to ArchiCAD and with my new job, but the way they have been doing details isn't as efficient as I am sure it could be.

I am coming from Revit to ArchiCAD and there are a few features in Revit I really liked an wish to implement into my new job and ArchiCAD.

Its just I don't know if it is possible or how to do it.

Let me try to explain what I wish to accomplish:

What I would like to create is a Detail Library, where U save all your details on to a central file where you can then pick an choose the details you need for the project you are working on from a list rather then coping one by one. I would like it that I could select all the details I need an it imports them all to my job and on their own (as a Independent detail) with it retaining its own detail name that it was under in the Detail Library file. Just like a Hotlink BUT the detail can be amended to suit the project.

Is this possible in ArhiCAD?

Thank you in advance.
17 REPLIES 17
A Template file might be something that would change your need for detail libraries.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
~Bump

I am still looking for a solution, things kinda got busy in the office, but still need a better way of doing details....rather then opening a template file with all details.

Then creating a independent view an pasting the detail there an naming the view. Can become quite troublesome if you have a lot of details to do this for.

How do other ppl do their details, would be very interested so see how you all do it.
Arcadia
Booster
There are quite a few different ways that people do this. Personally I have sets of std details drawn in a grid pattern on several worksheets. I drop the whole worksheet onto my layout as many times as I need and re-size it to the appropriate grid square for the detail I want on the worksheet. Works fine for me. All these details are on the template already so when I create a new job I can delete the worksheets that contain certain detail classes (ie for construction types) that I know I wont need then I'm left with just one detail worksheet placed with multiple instances on the layout for as many std details as I need. If I want to customize a detail I just use the detail tool then copy and past into it from a base standard detail or I just amend the standard on my details worksheet.

Some like having details externally that are linked but this creates problems as if you update your external std it will update in your project as well which can cause inconsistencies especially if you need to customize something. Better to have all details within your project file.

I hope this helps. I'm sure you will come up with a system that works for you. Other's may think their own system is better than mine but that's the beauty of Archicad - you can skin cats in many different ways:)
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ya we use something similar as to you currently, but a little messier lol i would say, we have a lot of extra pointless things we could cut out.

Anyone else care to shear how they do their detailing?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Arcadia wrote:
Some like having details externally that are linked but this creates problems as if you update your external std it will update in your project as well which can cause inconsistencies especially if you need to customize something. Better to have all details within your project file.
I would be using this method if I needed to.
I think the concern you raised can be handled relatively easy:
Go to the Drawing Manager, select all those external source details and click the Break Link button.
Now all those Drawing will become embedded into the Project File and you don't have to worry about them changing.
If you now go to their settings Dialogs you will see that the Update Status field says "Embedded", and the Store Drawing in the Project File became checked if it was not checked before.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Arcadia
Booster
That's a good tip Laszlonagy but you still wouldn't be able to customize the details on the fly as needed without first pasting them into the project. I'd rather keep everything in the template and delete/change what I need to.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, you are right, that method only works well if you need to place those Details without the need to make any modifications on them.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I kept an extra instance of Archicad open that has all of my libraries, notes, and details. It's layer list is standardized for this office so I can copy and paste to and from my projects easily. When I go to do details or add any 2d work, I just copy and paste what I need over so my project files don't get choked up. And when I make something new in the project, I just copy and paste it back to the storage project so I can keep it for future use. Even if it just a couple of small changes, because then it becomes kind of a history that has its own benefits for little over head. I also use it as a viewer for my libraries so I don't have to have the project folders loaded up with unnecessary libraries. Still have to load the parts into the project though.

I'm similar to Arcadia's system is I have worksheets filled with clusters of details. then I just copy what I need over so all the details are just on one worksheet in the project. Then I place as many views as I need off that one worksheet to the layouts. This prevents that sequential updating of views to all views based off that worksheet update at the same time.

I tried hot-linking but again, like Arcadia, that prevents me from being able to customize on the fly so I don't. Instead I copy and paste everything.

Oh, and I thought I should add that there is teamwork in Archicad, unlike Revit. So that storage file that I'm talking about you can share that project on teamwork and everyone can join that project and copy and paste to it, updating as needed so everyone gets the benefit of continuously updating details.
I think it depends on the size of projects you are doing. Since I'm doing relatively small residential work, I copy my standard details file to the project folder, so the "Details" PLN lives together in the same folder with the "Model" PLN. With this copy and the project PLN file open concurrently, you can use the Organizer in the Project File to just "drag & drop" details (views) onto the project file layout. Thus, you will have the Layout Sheets for the Model in one column, while the Views for the Details will be in the other column. (Hence, drag & drop) When you need to edit a detail, you will right-click on the view in the Layout, and choose "Open Source View" which open the detail for editing in the OTHER file. Then when you save after editing, you update in the Model file. Very fast.

If the editing is so extensive that you want to keep it for other projects, you can add it as a Detail in the Office Standard Detail file that will be copied for future projects.

If you are doing larger projects, Link Ellis has some good videos on how his firm does this. http://www.screenr.com/user/linkellis
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10