Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Missing Object from old library

sarahric
Contributor
With upgrading every year to a new ArchiCAD version, I have old migration libraries in my template which I am trying to get rid of.

In several projects where I remove the old library, I end up with missing objects. I go through all the layouts, stories, layers and renovation status' but still am left with at least 1 missing object.

How else can I search and find this object?
ArchiCAD 18/Windows 7/16GB Memory/i5 3.2GHz Processor/NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
14 REPLIES 14
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Could you attach what the Library Loading Report shows so we can see what kind of element is missing: Object, Texture file etc.?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
sarahric
Contributor
It's not the object that is the problem (a label in most instances). It's the search function to try and find it.
I am just frustrated trying to look through everything to find an unseen object.
Find & select only works for the view you are in.
sarahric
Contributor
Here is an example of a library with missing object
Barry Kelly
In this case turn all layers on and look at each storey in plan.
You won't find the missing object if the layer is turned off.
The missing objects will show up as red dots in your plan.

You could also use Find & Select searching for objects named "Bathtub 16".
Missing 3D objects will only be selectable in plan so you only have to go to each storey to find them.

As you correctly stated F & S only works in the view you are in.
So in the case of a label or 2D object you would have to look in each view (section, elevation, details, etc.) as well.

F & S does work for most things in 3D as well but not for missing objects as they are simply not present in the 3D view.
The place holders for 3D objects are only selectable in plan but 2D objects are only selectable in the view they were placed in - so you have to go hunting for those.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
sarahric
Contributor
Thanks Barry, but I already do this. Turn all layers on, turn all renovation status on and I still can't find some elements. Hence going through all views is tedious.
Barry Kelly
It can be tedious and a little tricky at times.
It all depends on what you are looking for.

The bath object you mentioned before should be pretty straight forward as I would assume it is a 3D object so it should show as missing (red dot) in your floor plan on one of your stories.

Other 2D objects like notes or 2D details could be in any of your views so yes you will have to go hunting.

Missing textures or fills won't appear at all - although you may notice where they are missing from.
With these you will have to start looking through your attributes - composites, building materials (surfaces), complex profiles - to determine where they are missing.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
sarahric
Contributor
It is tedious.
Perhaps I should write a request?
As it happens, the bath 3d object was actually in a detail view, not in the plan view at all. So even 3D objects can be hard to find.
Thanks Barry
Barry Kelly
sarahric wrote:
As it happens, the bath 3d object was actually in a detail view, not in the plan view at all. So even 3D objects can be hard to find.
This is true - this can be done.
Not quite sure why you would want to as the information added to a detail does not show in the plan or 3D model.
I personally don't use details a lot (in fact hardly ever) so I was assuming (incorrectly) that you wouldn't have placed a 3D object in there - but you may have a perfectly valid reason to do so.

So I guess the correct information is to check everywhere as you have discovered.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
i was thinking, why not use SQL to find it?
Something like executing a query:
select story_id, layer_id from objects where library_part_name='Bath tube 16'

It will not fail if the object is in a hidden layer, the query is not complete and can be smarter but it can help.