Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Room names for objects

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm very new to AC and completely new to creating objects. What I want to do is have a lighting object automatically get the room name or number from the zone it's are placed on so that I can use that in my schedules. The door tags can do this so I'm hoping it's possible.

I've created some basic lighting symbols with parameters I can modify for various information - I could just add a room name parameter but if it could be automatic that would be pretty cool.

Any help is appreciated - thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
Chris wrote:
I'm very new to AC and completely new to creating objects. What I want to do is have a lighting object automatically get the room name or number from the zone it's are placed on so that I can use that in my schedules. The door tags can do this so I'm hoping it's possible.

I've created some basic lighting symbols with parameters I can modify for various information - I could just add a room name parameter but if it could be automatic that would be pretty cool.

Any help is appreciated - thanks!
You will want to use .... n=REQUEST ("zone_relations", "", cat_name, code, name, numb)

Where the returned value for name is what you are after.

Be careful though in V11 - there is a bug.
The value for cat_name will also return the zone name.
It should really be returning the zone category but doesn't.
Hopefully it will be fixed in the next hotfix - it has been reported to GS.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Frank Beister
Advisor
You have to request it by ZONE_RELATIONS. But be aware, that you (AFAIK) can't store the result in a object parameter by the PARAMETERS command.If it has to be visible in the shedules, this might become a problem.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for the ideas - I'll keep playing (and learning) ans see if I can come up with anything
Barry Kelly
Barry wrote:
Be careful though in V11 - there is a bug.
The value for cat_name will also return the zone name.
It should really be returning the zone category but doesn't.
Hopefully it will be fixed in the next hotfix - it has been reported to GS.

Barry.
This problem still hasn't been fixed in the latest hotfix (1086).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
F. wrote:
But be aware, that you (AFAIK) can't store the result in a object parameter by the PARAMETERS command.If it has to be visible in the shedules, this might become a problem.
And the object parameter or other scripts are not run by the schedule (so that the script-generated value will be empty, displaying '---' in the schedule), which kills this approach for scheduling as far as I know.

A regular schedule in which you select Criteria 'Lamps' and Fields 'ID' (perhaps also 'Library Part Name' for checking) with 'Zone number' or 'Zone name' would give you something like what you want, if I am understanding correctly, without any need for GDL.