Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

Same item, missing instance in library

Otavio Augusto
Certified Trainer

Good morning,

I created an object for the BIMcloud library here in the office, and the architects started using it. However, when saving a new version of the object (created from another object but with the same name and in the same location in the library), the instances that were previously used became missing.

Could this have happened due to the global ID of the item? Is there any way to make ArchiCAD understand that the previously allocated instances can be replaced by the object with the same name, in the same location in the library?

Thank you very much in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

@Otavio Augusto wrote:

I have another question: If I take an object from the library and simply edit its contents, such as 2D, 3D scripts, parameters, or anything else, will it still be considered the same object and be replaced by other files, correct?

Yes, ideally you should edit the existing objects scripts if you want to update them.

If you 'save as' or create a new object (even with the same name) it will be a different object (different GUID)  and will not automatically replace existing objects.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Otavio Augusto
Certified Trainer

I have another question: If I take an object from the library and simply edit its contents, such as 2D, 3D scripts, parameters, or anything else, will it still be considered the same object and be replaced by other files, correct?

DGSketcher
Legend

I am still coming to terms with how editing and saving work. As I understand it, editing the scripts and saving will preserve the Library part with the changes you have made e.g. changes to presentation. You can add a Parameter and it will again preserve the Library part, but if you delete or change a parameter value name (not description) I think this can be problematic and it will be time to use Save As & roll out the Forward Migration Script.

If you use Save As, then you will create a new Library part with a new unique ID, you then need to use the Forward Migration Script to get the old part to work correctly with the new one e.g. deleted or changed Parameters are correctly set in the new part. However, the new part replacement will only work if the previous Library part is missing in the loaded Library(s).

Always keep a copy in a safe place of any deleted Library part, you never know when you might need to reinstate it. 

The Unique ID is the critical part, you can have the same file name assigned to parts in different Libraries, AC will try to use the correct one.

That is my understanding so far.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Solution

@Otavio Augusto wrote:

Yes, ideally you should edit the existing objects scripts if you want to update them.

If you 'save as' or create a new object (even with the same name) it will be a different object (different GUID)  and will not automatically replace existing objects.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11