Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Updating Pre-28 Custom Company Library Objects to be Compatibility with the LibPack Model.

jfaugustine
Booster

I am trying to wrap my head around the new LibPack concept for the new Global Library in ArchiCAD 28.

From what I have read thus far, it appears that custom library parts need to be updated to "Select Subtype" and then to be "Model Element" > "Custom Component Element".  This needs to be done for each and every object in the company library.

While there is some information on the archicad community user forum, I am left with some questions, such as:

- After the library objects are updated as required do they populate a new post ArchiCAD 27 Company folder? 

- Are the updated library parts compiled into a Company Specific LibPack library file similar to the other global libraries?

(I believe it is mentioned in the commentary that both LibPack Libraries and legacy library files cannot co-exist in a project.)

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Joe A.

(ArchiCAD since 8.0)

ArchiCAD since 8.0, currently on 22, waiting on 26, maybe...
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly

@jfaugustine wrote:

From what I have read thus far, it appears that custom library parts need to be updated to "Select Subtype" and then to be "Model Element" > "Custom Component Element".  This needs to be done for each and every object in the company library.

I believe this is only for custom components (door leaf, handles, curtain wall frames, etc.) that you may have in your loaded libraries.

Once re-saved in 28 they will no longer be available to use in earlier versions, so if you still intend to use 27, you will need to duplicate your library (or at least the custom objects part of your library).

If the custom objects are located in the Embedded Library then that is fine, just re-save them with the new sub-type.

As for any other library object (3rd party or custom office library), you should find that you can load and use it just the same as before.

There is no need to convert to a library pack and local library and library packs can all be loaded at the same time.

The only downside I have found is, if you have a linked office library folder called say "Office Library" and that contains sub-folders for all of your objects, when you load it in 28, you will not see that main office folder, just all of the sub-folders.

The default Grapfisoft libraries will then be mixed in amongst them.

For example my office library looks like this ...

BarryKelly_0-1728347294876.png

But when loaded in 28 looks like this ...

BarryKelly_1-1728347429425.png

Where as in earlier version it looked like this ...

BarryKelly_2-1728347516792.png

You can change to 'Folder View with Sources'.

That will now show the main linked library folder, but will also show the folder of each library pack as well ...

BarryKelly_3-1728347814947.png

I have mentioned this to Graphisoft during testing, but I am not expecting anything to change (but I am hoping it will).

A simple solution though is to add an extra parent folder to you office library.

So, Office Library > Office Library > sub-folders.

Then link the first parent folder (you won't see that folder name) but you will see the second folder with the same name in 28.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thank you for sharing your work flow and suggestions.

I am starting to prepare our 28 template for new projects.  I am trying to determine if the 28 LibPack files will need to uploaded to the BIMcloud SAAS similar to the 26 and 27 BIMcloud Libraries.   (All of our projects are Teamworked on the BlMcloud. Our process is to complete existing projects in the version in which it was started and not migrate the project.)

Joe A.

(ArchiCAD since 8.0)

I don't use teamwork or BIMcloud, but I believe you load the library packs to BIMcloud just the same as you would for a standard library.

I am not sure why you have to load default libraries to BIMcloud, as all of the default libraries are on the local machine, but as I said, I don't use BIMcloud.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

That is true. I guess I grew accustomed to loading the ArchiCAD libraries to the BIMcloud along with our company library for location consistency. Even though it was a replication of the local library, it was reassuring at being a singular reference source.

Joe A.

(ArchiCAD since 8.0)