Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Wish upon an Object from BIMcomponents.com

Levente Filetoth
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear Archi-Talkers,

I guess I am preaching to the choir when saying that GDL is one of the core assets of ArchiCAD. To provide support for great GDL content to get created we launched BIMcomponents.com with ArchiCAD 16. In order to give some boost to the interest for the topic we decided to help deliver some long wished GDL objects that no-one has created as of yet.

Here we call upon a little contest: share your wish for an object that you cannot find in the standard ArchiCAD library and we will see to it that some of them get programmed and shared with all of you through the BIMcomponents.com portal.

The rules are very simple, just make a post with a concise description of what you think could be solved with the help of GDL and your award is that if your idea turns out to be interesting enough it will be programed by a professional GDL developer.

Please give us your ideas and let's see if we can create some extra value to the ArchiCAD community with the help of GDL.

Disclaimer: This promotional activity's goal is to find objects that are over the line of standard object development project, hence will never make it to the standard ArchiCAD library. Please use this thread to provide your input to this specific topic and please avoid raising issues related to the development of the standard ArchiCAD object libraries and/or to the development of the GDL technology in general. Thank you for your understanding.
Levente Filetoth
Architect, www.graphisoft.com
MacBook Pro 15" 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.8.
ArchiCAD 4.5 - 19
93 REPLIES 93
SeaGeoff
Ace
I'd like to make a request for a floor framing object. I imagine it as a single object that is defined as a polygon in plan. Within that polygon the object places joists and rim joists/ledgers based on parameters. The system would then update to follow changes in the bounding polygon. The result would look something like the attached image in 3D and offer options for the cut profiles in section.

Thanks.
Floor Framing.PNG
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
JaredBanks
Mentor
Endre Ilauszky of manuBIM wrote a blog post for me about the 3rd object to result form the “Wish upon an Object from BIMcomponents.com”" the Random City Object.

"The Random City component is a very useful tool when you want to place schematic buildings or town parts simply and quickly into the background of an ArchiCAD site model."

You can read the full post and find links to download the object here:

http://www.shoegnome.com/2013/06/19/the-random-city-bim-component-archicad-site-model-object/

Also re: Geoff's idea. Love it. And would so use that! I'd imagine it could be built off manuBIM's ceiling editor. Seems similar in many ways? Maybe we can twist their arms to look into it????
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Daniel Lindahl
Contributor
Geoff wrote:
I'd like to make a request for a floor framing object. .....
Hi Geoff,

Great idea. That made me think, as a workaround you can use Roofmaker. Instead of a slab for the floor, just make a single pitch roof with 0 deg. pitch and go through the roof wizard. It won't do everything you want, but at least gets you a joist grid you can adjust to suit.
cheers
Daniel
-------------------------------------
Daniel Lindahl Architecture
AC24 | Dell Inspiron 16+ | Windows 11
Geoff. Always has the good ideas!

Yes Please!
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-5060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Guys,

I have created a new thread for the newly released Random City Object specifically:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=42990

Please discuss that object in that thread, and lets keep this thread for the wishes.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
archigreen
Enthusiast
I wish for a "smart" TAG object with NUMBERS (1,2,3...) or LETTERS (a,b,c...) able to modify its shape and background (transparent, semitransparent & 100%)
I also wish for semitransparent backgrounds in general. (For example dimensions or imported PDF's)
ArchiCAD 26
MacOS Monterey
MacBook Pro Apple M1 Max
64 GB
PB
Expert
Stress wrote:
jbArch wrote:
I'd like a better grab bar too, ideally one that can be continuous at the inside corners of a shower like ADA requires.
I'd like a parametric shower object that would allow the ability to define:
- ADA grab bars
- Tile layout
- Drain location
- Shower head location
- Faucet location
- Tile surrounds
- Glass surrounds
- Glass door
- Bench
- Curb height
- etc.
I second this request !
AC27 Apple Silicon. Twinmotion.
16" M1 Max MacBook Pro 32GB, Apple Studio Display, MacOS 15
fuzzytnth3
Booster
Geoff wrote:
I'd like to make a request for a floor framing object. I imagine it as a single object that is defined as a polygon in plan.
Thanks.
Way back in the mists of time when I first started learning GDL from David Nicholson-Cole's GDL Cookbook I added some bells and whistles to his object and you can download it from https://bimcomponents.com/GSM/Details/17793 While it doesn't use the method you describe which sounds very similar to the Rooftool this object allows you stretch out joists at whatever centres you require to do what you are looking for.

AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd love to see a Crib Wall object, complete with sub-objects of Headers, Stretchers and Rock-Fill... and to get a schedule from it too.
I'm currently faking it with textured walls in 3D, and rotated fills in 2D plan view (see attachments):
crib_3D.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
... with 2D symbols: