BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.

***STUDENT BOUYCOT OF GRAPHISOFT***

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why do graphisoft make archicad availabel to students, then deny them any support??
Why bother "protecting" the full licence version with a dongle when a crack for that is just as easy to find as the program itself??

As an increasing number of software developers are finding the success and logevity with open source and web-based applications, where does graphisoft think its going to find new clients when our generation of students enter the workforce??
12 REPLIES 12
Thomas Holm
Booster
post deleted.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
To be fair I don't know of any software that offers free support. Generally, support is offered for a period of time after you purchase any piece of software.

When we purchased ArchiCAD we got 1 years worth of support in with the purchase. You don't usually get support when you buy MS word. The difference is that its a far simpler bit of kit, & you figure it out by asking your work or class mates if you have a problem.

I've not really used the student version much as I've got a proper license, but I think it functions in the same way as the normal version, bar the different file format, & the limitations on importing/exporting files.

Therefore, do what other people do, & get your support from here. If the Graphisoft support are as knowledgable as the Autodesk guys, you'll be quicker asking on the forums anyway!

If you want a well written fully functioning piece of kit, you have to Pay for it, as there is no way that open source developers spread all around the world have the same management process to deliver a product as a bunch of well paid guys, sat together in an office, being properly managed to develop software as complex as this.

Look at Open Office. Its pretty good, but its not quite good enough.

Dyllbot, when your designing stuff & earning money, you'll be able to buy the software & it'll be just another cost, like wages, rent, supplies, etc.

Cracked software apart from being illegal is a pain in the ass as it usually doesn't work 100%. Although this might not be a problem for a student, when downtime is costing you money, you've soon paid the cost of a license, if you have staff sat round for a few days whilst your IT guy tries to fix some dodgy software!!!!
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
tjeccd wrote:
Look at Open Office. Its pretty good, but its not quite good enough.
I suppose this deserves another topic, but I'm intrigued - which parts of OpenOffice do you find limiting?

I'm using it for most 'office' purposes now and can't fault it. And the PDF import plug-in is a really nice addition. BTW - if anyone is interested in trying it out, make sure you get it from the official site: OpenOffice.org
Ralph Wessel BArch
Learn and get certified!