Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

2D Autocad Used as 3D Archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
Scenario:

All you are given is a 2D autocad elevation of a large multi-story building.
The client wants you to design a storefront for the ground level tenant, which would include adding awnings, patio and such.

How would you go about merging that 2D autocad into archicad so that it can be used in both elevation and in the 3D model? Can the autocad elevation be imported into the 3D so that it is viewed as wireframe. I basically want the 2D autocad to be shown vertically in the 3D window so I can build off of it. Is there any way to do this.

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
David Maudlin
Rockstar
HAL9000:

You can open the dwg file as an object and save it into one of your loaded libraries, this will covert the lines to 3D entities (lines) that can be viewed as part of the model. If the elevation comes in laying down, you can either add a RotX 90˚ command to the 3D Script, or if you don't do GDL, view the object from the correct orientation and save as a new object to change its orientation. This object will show in the 3D views and the elevations, but just as 3D lines.

You could also bring the file in and place it on a Worksheet, then Trace & Reference the Worksheet behind the elevation as a guide.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought when you save 2D cad into an object it creates 2D script not 3D?
A relatively quickie that gives you a lot of control would be 1) merge the DWG into a 'workshop' story or 'object creation' file, 2) trace with slabs to produce the street wall, with cutouts and thinner slabs for recessed upper story windows that can probably be kept fairly abstract, 3) save as an object placed vertically. You keep the workshop story where you merged your DWG and generated the slabs, so that at any time you want to add a new molding or tweak balconies or change some material you just do it and re-save the object.
Anonymous
Not applicable
That would work... it would just take a while to magic wand everything into slabs.
Magic wanding a DWG is likely to fail so often that it will probably be cleaner and faster to just trace with rectangular slabs. If the facade/s have some regular window rhythms, you can always cut a single hole, select it and multiply it, and then do the same with the thinner slabs that fill those holes or create moldings around them.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the help!
David Maudlin
Rockstar
HAL9000 wrote:
I thought when you save 2D cad into an object it creates 2D script not 3D?
HAL9000:

The method I am referring to is to use the Open Object... command, set Enable: to DWG File, then navigate to the DWG file, the Translator has an option 02 for 3D GDL import. This will open the DWG file as a GDL object, with a 3D Script that converts the file to 3D lines (and a similar 2D Symbol). You could then add ROTx 90 at the beginning of the 3D Script to rotate the 3D model from horizontal to vertical, save, then place this object in your ArchiCAD file to get a 3D view of the DWG file.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David-

I am trying out your method and I cant save to object (its grayed out). Any ideas why its not letting me save?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry I was in demo mode