cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

?? 3D View Bug

Anonymous
Not applicable
In AC 10, when I click on a wall (example, could be anything), and click on the 3D button, the entire model shows in 3D, not just the highlighted object, wall, etc.

I can right click on the selection, and choose "Show selection/marque in 3D" and it works.

However, when I close down 3D and highlight something else entirely different, the previous selection shows in 3D again, not what was selected.

Are these bugs or am I using AC 10 incorrectly?

Thanks,

Grant
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
The behavior you describe is not how it is supposed to work. My 3D window changes to show the new selection as it should. I don't know why this works for me and not for you.
Djordje
Virtuoso
NOELDESIGNS wrote:
In AC 10, when I click on a wall (example, could be anything), and click on the 3D button, the entire model shows in 3D, not just the highlighted object, wall, etc.

I can right click on the selection, and choose "Show selection/marque in 3D" and it works.

However, when I close down 3D and highlight something else entirely different, the previous selection shows in 3D again, not what was selected.

Are these bugs or am I using AC 10 incorrectly?

Thanks,

Grant
When you select soemthing else, right click and choose "show selection in 3D"
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
__archiben
Booster
first thing anyone using archicad 10 should do:

assign your old keyboard shortcut for opening the 3D window (Cmd/Ctrl + 3) to the new archicad 10 command: 'Show Selection/Marquee in the 3D Window'

it pretty much gives us the old logical behaviour back again. i think someone at graphisoft had to justify their employment and decided to change for the sake of things . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
__archiben
Booster
Matthew wrote:
The behavior you describe is not how it is supposed to work. My 3D window changes to show the new selection as it should. I don't know why this works for me and not for you.
matthew - it is, in fact, how it was 'deisgned' (i use the term loosely) to work in ten. because of the ability to creat multi-story elements, the whole 3D window opening logic needed addressing. unfortunately, graphisoft took the scissors and cellotape approach rather than implementing something that was intuitive and logical. only by using the 'Show Selection/Marquee in the 3D Window' command is the old behaviour (kind of) replicated . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
SeaGeoff
Ace
My preference was for a toggle–Show All vs. Show Selection in 3D–so all paths to the 3D window would perform the same (but this would have required a single selection set across the entire model, an equally controversial notion). As is stands if you change the selection or marquee and just switch to the 3D window the old selection will remain, i.e. Show Selection on 3D will not auto-update. You need to go back to the 2D view and reinvoke the command. But you can go from Show Selection to Show All directly in 3D. On the good side the new commands work in S/E and 3D windows. And I do like having both commands rather than having to go back to the floor plan if I accidentally left something selected. The key is always using the shortcut (or toolbar) when going to the 3D window, not Exposé or the Window menu. I mapped Show All to F3 and Show Selected to F4 for one button speed (I know, sucks for PowerBooks, bla bla bla).
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
Matthew wrote:
matthew - it is, in fact, how it was 'deisgned' (i use the term loosely) to work in ten. because of the ability to creat multi-story elements, the whole 3D window opening logic needed addressing. unfortunately, graphisoft took the scissors and cellotape approach rather than implementing something that was intuitive and logical. only by using the 'Show Selection/Marquee in the 3D Window' command is the old behaviour (kind of) replicated . . .

~/archiben
Ben,

I may not have been clear enough. I am talking about (and enjoying) the new behavior where the 3D model is only changed to the selected elements in plan when I tell it to. I find this a big improvement. I have always been annoyed at having to remember (and often forgetting) to deselect elements in plan before going to 3D. Your idea of mapping the old hotkeys to "Show selection/marque in 3D" seems a good way to mimic the old functionality.

If I understand correctly, Noel's problem is that the 3D view is not displaying a new selection in plan when it is specifically told to. I cannot reproduce this behavior. Each time I change the plan selection and right click to display it in 3D I get the new selection.

Grant,

On rereading your post I wonder...

You need to execute the command "Show selection/marque in 3D" each time you want to change the model to a new selection. It is a one-off command not a change of state.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Take a look at the default keyboard shortcuts relating to the 3D window: F4 - Show Selection/Marquee in 3D. This initially shows selected, but toggles between selected and the entire model, a very handy feature. You may also find the defaults for Cmd + F3 - 3D Axonometric View and Opt (Alt) F3 Perspective View handy for changing between view types.

In our office template WE, I have wrapped additional shortcuts for commands we use a lot around the default AC10 shortcuts. There are many handy new shortcuts that I did not want to overwrite. Hard at first, but worth the effort.

Orbit is O on the keyboard, also a toggle key. Because I prefer the internal to the open gl rendering engine, orbiting is so much faster than moving around in AC9. The Classic 3D Navigation toolbar is helpful while learning the new 10 techniques.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for all the feedback. In AC 9, I could either use the marque to select part of a model, or just highlight or drag my cursor over an area and click on the 3D icon. And only what was in the marque or what was selected shows in 3D.

Now, the only way I can find to get certain selections to show in 3D is by using a shortcut key or by right cliking and then clicking on Show selection.

I would have preferred the old method of whatever is selected is shown by the 3D icon.

Thanks,

Grant
SeaGeoff
Ace
Matthew wrote:
It is a one-off command not a change of state.
Quite so. And the effect of the command depends on what, if anything, is selected in the currently active window, not just the floor plan as was the case in AC9 and earlier.
Mabe wrote:
This initially shows selected, but toggles between selected and the entire model, a very handy feature.
This is not entirely correct. If there is no selection then Show Selection in 3D shows the entire model (same as Show All in 3D). After you make a selection (in plan or S/E) and then invoke Show Selection in 3D you are taken (of course) to the 3D window where there is now no selection. Thus invoking the command a second time shows the entire model and the behavior appears like a toggle. But on the third try nothing happens because the original selection from the 2D window is not stored. On the other hand, if you now make a selection in the 3D window the Show Selection in 3D command will isolate that selection.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x