Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

3D window and clipping plane

rgarand
Booster
Hi all,

I am having a problem when I orbit/explore in my 3D window. I have isolated the problem to the specific file. I have played around with all of the variables for the 3D window settings and have not been able to fix the problem.

The problem I am having is that when I orbit or explore, as I move around, my model gets clipped as if I have a clipping plane set up. The attached images show my model on the right when I start to explore and the model on the left is as I get closer to the model. Notice the model being clipped.

I have found a variable that I thought would solve my problem, but this does not work like I thought it would: 3D Window Settings> under OpenGL Options, the slider for "Always display all elements located within the following radius. When I set this to zero, nothing seems to happen, yet when I set this to a higher number the clipping plane seems to get further away from my camera.

Any thoughts?

view1-1.jpg
Robert J. Garand
ArchiCAD USA 27-Build 5001 USA FULL
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
8 REPLIES 8
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Sounds like OpenGL is culling your model.

According to the ArchiCAD 10 New Features Guide, This means that when you are navigating in 3D, OpenGL always calculates which parts of the whole 3D model will not be visible for the current frame at the current camera position, and will not calculate with those for that frame. This can increase the speed considerably, especially if you consider how much data you don’t have to process when your camera position puts most of the building behind the camera. Culling is part of OpenGL, so all graphics cards that support OpenGL (practically all graphics cards today) will be able to take advantage of this feature.

To alter that setting you need to adjust the 'Customize feedback speed in Frmes per Second' slider, or simply uncheck it.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
A colleague of mine has experienced this too. Thanks for the tip, Link, I will pass it on to him.
alemanda
Advocate
Sorry if I resume a so old topic but I was wondering if it is possible to have a clipping plane in archicad for small room rendering purpose.
AC27 latest hotfix

Win 10 Pro 64bit

Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)

32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620

Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440

www.almadw.it
Barry Kelly
alemanda wrote:
Sorry if I resume a so old topic but I was wondering if it is possible to have a clipping plane in archicad for small room rendering purpose.
Sounds like you want the '3D Cutting Planes'.
These can be set up and saved with your views.
And you can have multiple cutting planes in a view.
They can also be toggled on/off.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
alemanda
Advocate
Thanks Barry ...
I know about 3D cutting planes ... I was taliking about clipping plane meaning camera clipping planes.
In other words I need to clip part of the 3D view in order to have a better rendering of small rooms; I need the 3D view to be clipped but considered during rendering process (light bounces, light sources, etc) ... is it possible to achieve with 3D cutting planes or somehow else in archicad?
AC27 latest hotfix

Win 10 Pro 64bit

www.almadw.it
Barry Kelly
I see - the cutting planes will physically cut part of the model away and will not be used for light and shadow.

So unless the settings Link posted about work I don't know any other method.
In 3D window settings it is now hidden behind the 'Advanced' button.
But I don't know if this will have any effect on renderings - just as you are navigation in 3D?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
alemanda
Advocate
Barry, this was I was thinking ... 3D cutting planes cut phisically the model so sun light enters from the cut and missing part of the model ...
The first post of this topic speaks about a solved bug which reproduced a camera clipping plane ...
Well ... I would need that clipping plane ...
AC27 latest hotfix

Win 10 Pro 64bit

www.almadw.it
alemanda
Advocate
I made a research in the registry keys hoping to find something but no ...
Clipping planes are very useful for interior rendering because they allow you to use higher focal (so no strong distortions of the image) for smaller rooms because they allow you to "look inside" ...

Look at this picture (taken from web)
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MqG12dEWwPY/UwdGwC8hgAI/AAAAAAAAJuE/6VlFNMsncLs/s1600/vrayforC4D-inquadrat...

On the left a image (not very close to human view) done using 15mm focal camera with no clipping plane
On the right an image (much closer to human view) done using 65mm focal camera with clipping plane
AC27 latest hotfix

Win 10 Pro 64bit

www.almadw.it