Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

A R C H I C A D 1 5 - it's gotta be asked.

rob2218
Enthusiast
Ok, it's gotta be asked unless it's already been asked.
When? this year?
What can we speculate (wikileaks) the improvements would be to?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
64 REPLIES 64
muril00ng
Enthusiast
mthd wrote:

Hi Enrico,

Have you got the Cadimage Stair Builder tool yet?

Even if there Cadimage tool, it's necessary to improve the Stairmaker. To stay depending on other aditional plugins isn't an advantage for any software.
rob2218
Enthusiast
thats a good point.
the "core" of the programming needs to get better on the stair maker.
I just wish things like being able to rotate objects in X-Y-AND "Z" axis's could get better.

For example. if you wanted to make a custom arch with a certain profile...you'll need to draw that arch in plan as a beam with unique profile, then take that object, see it in 3d along it's side (or once you create the new object it will be top) view, then save the object as a new embedded library part, then you will be able to insert the object back into your file in the correct rotation.

Now why you can't simply "rotate along X-axis" an object is beyond me but then again I'm not a programmer and don't know all the details and decisions as they were made upon inception.

Though, if AC15 now has the ability to create those kinds of objects with more ease....then it'll be worth it.....but yes, I agree, the stairs need major reworking.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
Your post was too much for me Rob. I was holding back but I can't anymore.

After 14 iterations, you would think a basic operation such as easy z-axis rotation would have been accomplished by now. I don't know how many times I could have easily done what I needed with the built in tools if only I could tilt an object. My company finally broke down and paid an extra three hundred dollars for OBJECTiVE to get what should be a basic ability and that's frustrating.

It's like having a car that can't do left turns. I can go right, straight, or reverse. But if I have to go some where that's to the left of me I had better be prepared to make at least three right turns first to get there.

Here's to hoping AC 15 delivers in this area.
rob2218
Enthusiast
Good analogy zeropoint.......I like that car reference.
Yes...you are correct. Simple rotations in 3d space...considering the program is so, so sophisticated in what it can do....just doesn't make sense.

I asked a dude from GS HQ once, why it didn't do that....his response was "the programming involved in making our software do that would mean we would need to rewrite ALL the coding"...and they just weren't prepared to do that.....well, perhaps for AC15 they may have re-thunk (is it a word?) that issue.....

Glad to see you've had fun with the commentaries on this post.

Keeping double fingers crossed for AC15 to have better 3d mobility in it's parametrics.....
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
rob2218 wrote:
I asked a dude from GS HQ once, why it didn't do that....his response was "the programming involved in making our software do that would mean we would need to rewrite ALL the coding"...
I can understand this regarding elements like walls, columns, roofs and such that have complex, built-in relations to each other and to gravity, but library parts are distinct, arbitrary bits that could easily incorporate this option. As it is it only takes one parameter and a single line of code to do it in the script editor. I think the issue that might arise here is consistency. Since not all parts make sense to rotate (pendant lights for example) there would need to be a way to disable the function in library part editor, so we are then left with a feature that would work with some (or most?) of the elements of certain tools.

BTW: It is not quite correct to refer to this as z-axis rotation since rotation around the z-axis is available for all elements. We are really talking about rotation around the X and/or Y axes. This could also be part of the specification problem; whether to enable rotation about only one horizontal axis or both of them.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Moon Shine might not work on a Hungarian?

Try Cold Beer like Aussies Love?

I heard on twitter, someone in a minnesota user group say something like:

'The focus of AC15 was on improving the design tools'

A pretty broad statement but someone might be able to verify this?

Vodka for Russians, Saki for Japanese or Ouzo for Greeks?

What Do Hungarians Like?

If you are none of these nationalities, please tell us your countries favorite alcohol drink. (In Moderation Please).
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Hungarians are famous for drinking Palinka and Unicum - and both can be very punishing!

Oh and every version if ArchiCAD is improving the design tools!

Cheers,
Link.
JaredBanks
Mentor
I was that Minnesotan on Twitter. That was in response to a cryptic comment from someone who was at AC winter school or one of the Australian usergroups that had a presentation by the CEO of Graphisoft (can't remember which).

I really don't know anything! (about v15)
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
mthd wrote:
What Do Hungarians Like?.
I can't speak of Hungarians in general.
You don't have much luck with me. Besides some wine occasionally I don't drink. Also, I specifically hate beer.
Ah, not too strong cocktails are fine too.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
I had the luck of being shown by the guys at GS Product Design every little feature and option of what will be new in ArchiCAD 15.
Honestly, as an architect, I just got more and more excited as they told me all the various things they did.
I hope that a lot of people will really like it when it comes out.
Lazlo,

Let me tell you, that yours was a very silly answer. If you have something to say, say it, otherwise it's a good oportunity to shut up.

Respectfully

dat-architect