cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC 11 - snapping to core stud wall - Dims

Anonymous
Not applicable
This was touched on in another post of mine but a bit of clarification will help big time.

i have looked for core mode in the composite setting but cant find it in AC11. at least where i am looking / help takes me.

----also, is it possible to work with all parts of a wall visible, but only snap to core when setting dims?

thanks again all, youve been alot of help!
17 REPLIES 17
JaredBanks
Mentor
Did you check the 'dimension only the core of the composite and complex walls' in the dimension tool? That's the key. If that's checked, it might be how you are using the dimension tool. When you dimension a wall, ArchiCAD should find both sides of the wall automatically. If you are manually clicking on corners or both edges of the walls, then this function won't work.

If the check box I mentioned above is checked, and you click on the edge of the wall (and 2 dimension nodes appear), then you should be able to dimension to the core.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Jared, I really appreciate your help! alot bud!

I think i might have not been entirely clear. the snap function is working, but it is snapping to both the gyp and the core on both sides.

if possible, i want it to snap to only the core. core being the stud wall only.

it seems that AC would accommodate this, maybe not.
JaredBanks
Mentor
I understand what you're saying and it's doable as I've mentioned in all my previous responses. I'm not sure how else to explain it.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK THANKS, AGAIN I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP. ILL FART AROUND WITH IT SOME MORE.
Barry Kelly
Just to re-inforce what Jared has said.
Your composite walls skins can be set to core, finish or other (in the composite settings).
The type of fill for the skins (solid, hatched or empty) will have no effect on your dimensioning.
Turning on the "dimension core only" option in the dimension settings dialogue will affect what you dimension.
But only when you click on the side of the wall (mercedes cursor) - then it will dimension just the core thickness.
If you click on the end points or corners of the walls then you will be able to dimension any of the wall skins (core, finish or other) - but you decide what point you click on.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
in composite settings, i dont think i have that option with AC11. i do have a slider called skin priority. i tried playing with that but nada.

I have dim core only checked.

"f you click on the end points or corners of the walls then you will be able to dimension any of the wall skins (core, finish or other) - but you decide what point you click on.

----maybe this is the issue. most of my dim selection points are to corners. maybe this is why it selects the gyp layer of the composite.

- i wish there were a way to have it select only the cores no matter what.

-i tried taking a screen shot of my settings but this funky keyboard for some reason does not want to work with me..... is it the holidays yet?

thanks all. if youre taking one, have a nice holiday.
NCornia
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
knosaj,
in composite settings, i dont think i have that option with AC11. i do have a slider called skin priority. i tried playing with that but nada.
You are correct, this option was introduced in AC12 and further refined in AC13. Unfortunately there is not something that easy in AC11.

Best regards.
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Barry Kelly
NCornia wrote:
knosaj,
You are correct, this option was introduced in AC12 and further refined in AC13. Unfortunately there is not something that easy in AC11.

Best regards.
I was stumped for a little while trying to remember how to set the core in a wall.
I kwne it was there as I was using this feature back in version 10.
Then I saw it - now different in later versions.
There is a tick box in the composit settings dialogue.
Barry.
core_skins.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11