Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC13 : Structural Property

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've started investigating AC13 possibilities (demo version) and I wonder why the Structural Property tab for walls, beams, columns, ... is hidden while using the AC13 template? What's the point for manually check this option in the Tool Settings Dialog Boxes?
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess it's because it doesn't actually do anything unless you are transferring the model to a structural program like Tekla.

I've also noticed there isn't a similar setting for object based beams which may cause problems.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Plausible but strange as it is communicated as one of the main 13 new features
Karl Ottenstein
It is odd that there does not appear to be any use of this feature within ArchiCAD itself - and the manual gives no specific details on how this is used in communication with engineers - if is is part of the IFC export, or what.

Here is a screenshot of the added panel to select load-bearing (or not) walls, columns, beams, etc.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
For the architect to verify and schedule load-bearing components, I expected the 'load bearing' attribute to appear as an available schedule criterion. But, as you can see in the attached screenshot, it is not there.

Find & Select does not have an option to search for elements that are Load Bearing either.

Without these capabilities, I do not think it is wise (errors and omissions) to utilize this feature as you cannot audit your work...even if it does exchange to engineers somehow.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think it may be part of the IFC export settings as I did notice the little IFC rebuild dialog briefly appear when I first enabled the Structural Property tab.

I've also just noticed this setting isn't passed on using the eydropper between elements. Should that be so?

I agree that it should be selectable using the find and select tool. How else can you double-check without individually selecting every element?
so just put it on a layer with an extension like .loadbearing

I don't understand why being able to identify a wall as load bearing is supposed to be sometihng new and/or important. There have always been lots of ways to do that.

What am I missing here ? Whats useful about that? How is doing it the new way better than the old way ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Joeri wrote:
I've started investigating AC13 possibilities (demo version) and I wonder why the Structural Property tab for walls, beams, columns, ... is hidden while using the AC13 template? What's the point for manually check this option in the Tool Settings Dialog Boxes?
Where did you get an ArchiCAD 13 demo version ? Send me a link.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well my wild ass guess is that it's the beginning (short of goal) of what I've been hoping for.
That is somehow getting my plans to be intelligent regarding our IBC based codes. More specifically to identify when we have met the criteria or bases for, or basics of, what we call "Conventional Light Frame Construction". This allows us as designers in at least my neck of the woods,(Calif) to design (within it's defined perimeters) up to two story residences WITHOUT structural engineering.
Sure liability exists, but what else is new?
Stay within the defined code and you at least have a wrapper of protection.
A beginning?
lec