Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ARCHICAD 21 announced - how do you like the new features?

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Please see the announcement and info about the new features here:

http://www.graphisoft.com/archicad/

Let us use this thread to discuss the new features of the program.

On the above page there is also a link using which you can register to watch the ARCHICAD 21 Event.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
115 REPLIES 115
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
arqrivas wrote:
Besides the new stair and railing tool, I read the addition of Building Material and complex profiles for library parts, if it is what I'm thinking we will be able to choose any profile for doors and windows casings...
So, in ARCHICAD 21 both Building Materials and Profiles were developed for GDL as well so any GDL-based element (including Doors and Windows) can use Profiles..
Does it mean that the GDL coding for getting correct floorplan views of any custom object will be simplified or basically disappear? We can just assign the hatches and attributes of the building materials ? That would be awesome!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Constantin wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
arqrivas wrote:
Besides the new stair and railing tool, I read the addition of Building Material and complex profiles for library parts, if it is what I'm thinking we will be able to choose any profile for doors and windows casings...
So, in ARCHICAD 21 both Building Materials and Profiles were developed for GDL as well so any GDL-based element (including Doors and Windows) can use Profiles..
Does it mean that the GDL coding for getting correct floorplan views of any custom object will be simplified or basically disappear? We can just assign the hatches and attributes of the building materials ? That would be awesome!
I don't think this development is related to how GDL Objects' 2D is generated. This is simply the fact that instead of Cut Fills and Surfaces, you can now define and/or use Building Materials, and the Cut Fills and Surfaces will come from the Building Material in GDL as well.

Similarly, there will be a way to use Profiles defined in the Profile Manager instead of having to script them in the 3D Script of the given GDL Object (if I understand correctly).
There will be several new REQUEST commands in GDL using which you will be able to get the data about the geometry and components of Profiles in GDL so you can use them in various commands. For example, there will be a new TUBE command which can use profiles.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
vortextheory wrote:
Purely because GS have to print a Marketed cardboard box in 15+ different languages and then burn a file to a DVD! then POST them out.
Seriously when is GS going to get with the times, just release the file, enough with boxing rubbish. I just chucked my v20 in the bin. I haven't used a DVD player for 3 years.
I received info from GRAPHISOFT that starting with ARCHICAD 21, there will be no box and no DVD. So I guess it will be a fully electronic software delivery (download only).
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Richard wrote:
The railing tool is still a little mysterious. Is there any way to find out what is possible as far as turned balusters, goosenecks, and newels/volutes? (Basically, classic residential stairs)
The Railing Tool will be incredibly versatile in my opinion. Basically, you will be able to model anything with it that has a pattern of post-like elements with panel-like areas between then, along with Rails on top, Rails between these post-like elements, or only 1 or 2 of the above components, etc.
So here are a few cases where you will be able to use Railings:
  • - A series of trees along a terrain. Save a Tree as a custom Railing Post and use it in the Railing as Post.
    - Similarly, a series of lamps or lamppost along a road.
    - Road. You can save the Profile of the Road as custom Rail; the Railing would consist of a Top Rail and the Rail's Profile will be the saved Road profile
    - Fences
    - Horizontal Gutters along Roof edges
    - Roof edge profiles
    - Wall paneling
    - And so on
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
kolddoo wrote:
Does anyone know if it will have support for high-dpi with screen scaling in windows? It is almost unusable with some 4k screens currently.
I am not aware of any development for ARCHICAD 21 that addressed this area.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
laszlonagy wrote:
Bricklyne wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
It will be possible to model something and save it as Stair Tread, Stair Riser, Railing Post or Railing Panel, then use them in the Stair/Railing. Is this what you are referring to?
No, I meant doing custom railing/panels of this nature...
Good question, but I cannot give a definitive answer since I have not tried saving custom panels. Stair Boundaries and Railing Reference Lines can have curved Segments, but I cannot say for certain if it also automatically bends those patterns or not...
I got an answer from GRAPHISOFT and they said that a planar custom Railing panel will not be curved by ARCHICAD to automatically match the curve of the Stair Boundary. You would have to model the panel curved like you would want to see it in the placed Railing.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
laszlonagy wrote:
arqrivas wrote:
So, in ARCHICAD 21 both Building Materials and Profiles were developed for GDL as well so any GDL-based element (including Doors and Windows) can use Profiles.
However, the given Library Part would have to be modified/updated to be able to use Profiles. I checked one of the default Windows and I do not see such a change. I think this would take considerable development time to update all ARCHICAD default library part to be able to use Profiles.
Would be great though to be able use Profiles for Window Frame, Sash, Reveal/Closure, Casing, Sill and Board, etc.
A similar list would exist for Doors, Cabinets and many other GDL Object types. Lots of possibilities.
Received some info from GRAPHISOFT about this.
So in ARCHICAD 21, Building Materials and Profiles will be incorporated into only Stair and Railing components of the default ARCHICAD Library. There are future plans to update other existing Library Parts (where applicable), so they can use these capabilities.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
David wrote:
Richard wrote:
The railing tool is still a little mysterious. Is there any way to find out what is possible as far as turned balusters, goosenecks, and newels/volutes? (Basically, classic residential stairs)
You will be able to use Profiles and custom elements with the tool. There will also be built-in options. Goosenecks are part of the tool, not sure about volutes. Screen shot from beta using built-in options, final release may differ.

David
Some more info:
There will be default content for the various sub-elements of Railing. So, for example, for Railing Posts (which will be GDL Objects), there will be Cast Iron Post, Newel Post, Revolved Post, all with lots of parameters and geometry options.
In terms of Connections, there will be 3 types: Disconnected, Gooseneck and Direct Connection, with multiple geometry parameters for each. This Connection type can be set individually for Top Rails, Handrails and normal Rails between Posts.
Similarly, there will be 3 End Types: Extension, Curve, Ful Return, each with multiple parameters and options. This too can be set individually for Top Rails, Handrails and normal Rails. This End Component can even be a custom GDL Object.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I work in Archicad 19 and in my opinion the point cloud management is really poor and requires a lot of work around.... any improvement about it in Archicad 21?
alemanda
Advocate
Regarding the new stair tool ...
I saw that now the stair is considered as "assembly" of parts.
Is it possible to assign these parts to structure, finishing, other category for partial model display?
If so, Is it possible to adapt the structural part of the stair to the common practical construction situations? For example, many times the starting point of a reinforced concrete stair is a wall from the foundation beam/raft. Is it possible to have it drawin correctly?
AC27 latest hotfix

Win 10 Pro 64bit

Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)

32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620

Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440

www.almadw.it